Thread: Coyote looking curiously

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coyote looking curiously

Name:  For Forum.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  527.6 KB

This was taken on a golf course where a family of coyotes are frequently spotted. With the course closed to golfers until just recently, it was the perfect opportunity to get some shots.

Minor edits, but nothing removed from the image.

1/320s, f/5.6, 350mm, ISO 1100

Nikon D3300 with Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

At first i didn't like the tree on the left. But the more i look i kinda like it. Gives the impression this yote is hiding. The pose is nice as well.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

At first I wasn't too keen an the tree..... and I am sorry to say I am still not, for me it is too dominant, it has to be 40% plus of the image and it doesn't have anything interesting in it. The coyote head could perhaps stand a little more sharpening - was the original pin sharp? The expression on the coyote looks engaging.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Alex, the image is noisy (grainy) and soft, not sharp and so it's not a keeper for me. The tree trunk is too dominant and the BKG is rather messy. Lying down shooting much lower with more FG would be better, F/5.6 was probably about right. However saying that to me the image is a culmination of initial capture and limited post production, as I have no idea how far down the Post Production route you are, so hard to advise currently.

If I take the image into LR this is about as far as I can take it with limited file size, but I can't do anything much about the image content and framing.

Alex it's good to also post your thoughts on other postings too, it doesn't have to be technical, perhaps just what you like and don't like, but it's a great way to learn.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would be interested to see how you would edit the raw file if you wanted to take the time ( https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnFxnnIWFw4PpCca...7IfbV?e=3kGpot ). I agree with you about the background being a bit too messy with debris on the ground. When I was taking the picture, I thought it would be interesting to have the tree trunk frame the coyote. Personally, I like the tree trunk, but perhaps I could have shifted the image a bit to the right to have less of it in the image. The noise and softness is mostly because my camera body does not have very good low light performance as well as cropping of the image, but maybe it could be fixed in LR + PS. I'll try to incorporate your advice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, ok got the file.

- Firstly the image is not sharp, so either movement in taking the picture, or too slow a SS, or both
    - Aim to shot the way you wish to portray the image, ie portrait or landscape, this way you retain IQ
    - You need to lear to compose within camera, but give yourself room to make the final crop within PP so have a slight loose framing in camera
    - Exposure doesn't look to bad, learn to shoot ETTR Expose to the Right before you clip your whites
    - Use the LCD screen for blown Highlights and distracting elements nothing more and certainly NOT COLOUR!
    - You needed more image content below, its too tight.
    - I know what you you were doing with the tree but it doesn't work and too dominant

Imported image into LR and got a neutral starting point with the eyedropper so there is no basis within the RGB channels
    Balanced out the blacks & Contrast
    Tried to address some global colours in HSL
    Pre sharpened and applied some NR

Exported to PSCC
    Applied some Curves adjustments
    Colour Balance adjustment
    A couple of Curve Level Blends

Saved back into LR
    Cropped
    Exported, sharpened and Saved for web

Alex, it's not great, but then the raw wasn't sadly, hope this helps. BTW it wasn't't taken up at Fury Creek Golf course?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Actually the colours rendered in my initial repost is much better!!!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for explaining your editing process. The coyotes were actually at Langara Golf Course right next to Langara college. Although, if I were a coyote, I would much prefer Furry Creek.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Is that off the Canada line, rings a bell?

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Is that off the Canada line, rings a bell?
    Yep, that's the one. It's pretty close to the airport.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex,

Steve's comments and the repost in Pane 4 are spot on. I should have worked from that as he did an amazing job improving the relatively poor IQ ...

IAC, I have not a fan boxy crops so I went to 3X2 and took some off the right to eliminate most of the black crud on the frame edge.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.