Thread: Incoming - Little owl

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Incoming - Little owl

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, a rarity, BIF from me.

Just to put this into context and I will post a snap from the blind to provide a better grasp of the location. This is 'Scruffy' who really was in pretty poor condition, but another owl 'Torn eye' adopted him/her and now is doing well, but kicked off this particular plot now. The home in the willow tree is less than two seconds flight to this old trailer, but over the 5 weeks the whole location has become swamped with Cow parsley (a weed) which generates these green caterpillars that they seem to like amongst other bugs & beetle found, but they also can fly anywhere within a 400m area, and beyond at times...

Shot in the morning just after 8.00am, so I was in the hide by 6.00am and so it was just a waiting game. The light comes in from the RHS, by evening everything is in shadow, but you do get some cool colours. I was hoping he/she was going to land as usual on the beam, no, Scruffy wanted to land on this metal circular dish, part of the trailer, but now hidden by the weeds. Shooting 1/3200 wasn't quick enough, so cranked it to 1/4000.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Little owl incoming (Athene noctua)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM Gitzo tripod with Flexline pro ballhead
    Exposure: 1/4000s at f/5.6 ISO1250
    Original format: Portrait, slight crop from above, almost FF width
    Processed via: LRC Classic & PSCC2020

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is an iPhone snap from within the blind showing the old Willow tree that they inhabit, with the old LO Conservation box I put up some 9 years ago. You can see how high the Cow parsley is and almost swapping the trailer, a bit different to the previous postings and I hope adds context to the posting and background.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the framing, the pose and even the weed flowers. Wow, waiting for two hours in the same place and staying diligent enough to catch the fast action. You were well rewarded with this pose nice and sharp. Love those talons. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Strong action capture, and I applaud the patience to acquire it. The view of the feet is great1 That said, the perch is really tough for me. not only is it man made but it kinda overpowers the owl. You worked with what you had, and the result is good considering that. Only technical critique is that the frame feels really cold, so I'd consider warming it.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well didn't know owls live in boxes like that. The incoming pose is nice. I feel the perch is just too much here. Detail is great though.