Thread: Bobcat

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bobcat

Attached Images Attached Images

I don't go looking for wildlife but when it crosses my path I take advantage of the opportunity. Dot and I were driving slowly along Blackpoint Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge when she said, "Back up, Back up". When we did there was this Bobcat sitting in a overgrown roadway not far from the road we were traveling. This image is one of several I captured. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED, HH using the car as a blind
    1/1250 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 1400 Auto WB, image captured at 300mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presenation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, am I thinking I have seen this one before????

Having wet fur isn't always easy to photograph, plus is it heat haze I'm seeing in the BKG Joe? I'm just thinking perhaps f/5.5 may have helped here and also compress slightly the BKG? A bit more below Joe if you have it, perhaps even a bit more all around to give the subject room to breathe as this is cropped. Overall I feel it's going a bight bright yellow/green, perhaps going negative on the Temp and also on the tint mutes the colours, but you were there Joe. Looks very content and I like the gaze.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well the bobcat sure doesn't mind you being there. I like the wet look to the fur. Man i would love to see a bobcat like this even just a glimpse would be nice. Framing looks good to me.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, am I thinking I have seen this one before????

Having wet fur isn't always easy to photograph, plus is it heat haze I'm seeing in the BKG Joe? I'm just thinking perhaps f/5.5 may have helped here and also compress slightly the BKG? A bit more below Joe if you have it, perhaps even a bit more all around to give the subject room to breathe as this is cropped. Overall I feel it's going a bight bright yellow/green, perhaps going negative on the Temp and also on the tint mutes the colours, but you were there Joe. Looks very content and I like the gaze.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve, you have seen this or another from the series before. Regarding the heat haze, not sure this image was in January, morning are normally in the 50's F and rise to the mid 70's F during the day. I worked this up using the dishwater flat RAW image as a starting point. Not much time to change settings, pretty much a grab shot before it walked off into the underbrush. I'll check into how much I have to enlarge the crop. Starting from a flat RAW image the processing is so much easier. Regarding the color I have not seen enough of these (like the fourth or fifth I have seen in Florida in twenty years) to know if the colors are right, pretty much relying on the white balance in the camera. Thanks for viewing and commenting, much appreciated.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I would have been over the moon to have captured an image like this, he looks so relaxed. I like the presentation, the colours look pretty good but I can appreciate the point Steve made and I often post images that on reflection could have been altered a little! My initial reaction to the image was that it needed a little more space top and bottom.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Joe,

For me, this one would have been much better wider despite the less than ideal setting; it is simply too large in the frame.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.