Thread: Mourning Dove

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mourning Dove

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image driving along Joe Overstreet Road in Kenansville, Florida. Doves I find difficult to approach, they flush way before being in range for photography. I guess being hunted in some places makes them fearful and edgy when humans are around. I just don't understand this hunting thing with doves, certainly not big enough for eating, must be just killing something that flies. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D500
    Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED, HH using the vehicle as a blind
    1/1000 F/5.6 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 250 Auto 1 WB, image captured at 400mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction when needed, the hairs on the wire are from cows I left them along because to me they tell part of the story of the pasture lands that the doves inhabit
    Cropped for composition and presentation

P.S. Learn more about Joe Overstreet Road in the BAA Middle Florida Photography Site Guide that Artie and I co-authored. It is available at this link The BAA Middle of Florida Site Guide
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice capture, Joe. When they do sit still occasionally in great light such as you have here, you can see how beautiful their colors and feather patterns are. You've got a good angle with a nice head turn, and I like that we see the foot. Leaving the cow hair is a nice touch.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, these subjects probably get the love they deserve as they're actually quite beautiful. This one on the sublime green bkg is no exception, nicely done!

That one specular highlight right below the hair may be worth touching.

TFS

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice & delicate Joe, with a pleasing colour palette.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just sublime. The barbed wire even works for me. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice view of this dove on the barbed wire perch. I like the framing. The hair adds a nice touch. Background is right on as well.