Thread: Black Bear

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black Bear

Name:  For Forum.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  457.9 KB

This image was taken on Cypress Mountain in British Columbia, Canada.

Taken on a tripod. Cropped, with minor edits in Lightroom. Nothing has been removed from the image.

Nikon D3300
    Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6
    1/1000 f/6.3 360mm ISO 800

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beast! Legs look huge. You could tone down the grasses some. They are pretty bright. I like the setting.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Alex, welcome to the Wildlife forum and nice opening image. Sadly when I'm there they are all tucked up and fast asleep, but always good to see a Bear.

I quite like the framing and the low POV, but I feel you need a bit more below for the virtual legs, so you just needed to move the frame in camera down a wee bit more. The angle of the bear is fine, the light looks a bit bright so you were fortunate not to have the LHS of the face not in too much shadow, or did you lighten that side in PP? I like the way you left room on the LHS for the bear to 'walk into'. I would darken the FG grass just a fraction. The black fur looks OK, personally I tend to reduce the blue, but that's just me, I prefer the 'blacker' look. No idea on the camera body and how it copes with higher ISO, but as the bear was moving I would have suggested 1/1600 as a starting point to reduce any movement and freeze the action here. As presented the bear does need more sharpening. In LR just be mindful of adding additional Contrast & Black.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Alex, welcome to the Wildlife forum and nice opening image. Sadly when I'm there they are all tucked up and fast asleep, but always good to see a Bear.

I quite like the framing and the low POV, but I feel you need a bit more below for the virtual legs, so you just needed to move the frame in camera down a wee bit more. The angle of the bear is fine, the light looks a bit bright so you were fortunate not to have the LHS of the face not in too much shadow, or did you lighten that side in PP? I like the way you left room on the LHS for the bear to 'walk into'. I would darken the FG grass just a fraction. The black fur looks OK, personally I tend to reduce the blue, but that's just me, I prefer the 'blacker' look. No idea on the camera body and how it copes with higher ISO, but as the bear was moving I would have suggested 1/1600 as a starting point to reduce any movement and freeze the action here. As presented the bear does need more sharpening. In LR just be mindful of adding additional Contrast & Black.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks for the tips! I do feel like sometimes my editing lets me down a bit. I kept on fiddling with the foreground grass and originally had it a bit darker, but on my monitor things always seem a bit darker than they actually are. I usually try to look at the image on multiple screens, but I was a bit off on this one I suppose. I did slightly lighten the left hand side of the face, but not drastically. The bear was not bothered by my presence so I was free to reposition myself for better lighting. As for the camera body, it's not very good at handling high ISOs. I'm looking to upgrade to the D500 soon.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the tips! I do feel like sometimes my editing lets me down a bit. I kept on fiddling with the foreground grass and originally had it a bit darker, but on my monitor things always seem a bit darker than they actually are.
    So many folk 'fiddle' Alex and then over cook the image as they feel adding in the 'kitchen sink' will be the icing on the cake, how wrong, keep it simple. Make sure you calibrate your monitor on a monthly basis and have minimal lights on when processing.

I usually try to look at the image on multiple screens, but I was a bit off on this one I suppose.
    Use one screen for the image, the second for all your tools and palette.

I did slightly lighten the left hand side of the face, but not drastically.
    It was subtle which was perfect!

The bear was not bothered by my presence so I was free to reposition myself for better lighting.
    Great, making a noise so the Bear knows you are there is key, even talk to it, it's when they are surprised by your presence is the issue and as you know and never come between Mum & cub. Keep a healthy distance and if they come to you that's fine as they are comfortable, having your subjects comfortable brings out the best.

As for the camera body, it's not very good at handling high ISOs. I'm looking to upgrade to the D500 soon.
    OK, no idea on that as I shoot Canon, but you want something that can easily handle ISO3200 - 6400 for dull, shadow days, especially in winter, like Boundary bay...
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the image, the angle appears to be taken from around eye height. I agree a little more foreground would be good, though I can appreciate the moment and the instinct to fill the frame must have been strong.
    As a quick starting point lowering luminosity in the grass using the Target Adjustment tool and lowering Blue in the bear gets you well on the way to improving the image.....looking forward to seeing more!