Thread: Wait up, Mom...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Wait up, Mom...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 70-200 @200 f2.8 1/800 ISO 800 HH. Manual EXP, Another from evening bike ride.

One of my fave feather patterns. This is a chick with fully developed and brand new adult plumage but not yet completely independent. Chasing Mom for the next morsel. Wanted lower POV but steep bank wouldn't allow it. I'm on my stomach for this image and glad to get water as BG.

All valued comments on previous posts greatly appreciated. Please keep them coming.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think the steep bank gives a good POV on the bird. Love the feather detail...wished you had a faster SS to freeze that raised foot, as it adds so much to the image.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree that's a very handsome plumage. POV works well for me. Nicely captured.

4. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes those feathers look dandy indeed. The framing walking pose with the raised foot are nice.

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, those trippy wave patterns David. Sweet!

Really like this frame. Forgive us landlocked folks, I don't know what kind of bird it is?

Also curious if the grass had that much of a yellow hue? At first it seemed maybe it was a bit washed but I think it's just the earthy, yellow tone in it. Either way, nicely done :-)

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, both good questions. Limpkins are a very unique bird found only in Florida in the U.S. They also range south in the caribbean and central america. The Limpkin is the only member of it's taxonomic family Aramidae. Although it resembles herons and ibises in general form the Limpkin is generally considered to be more closely related to rails and cranes. It eats mostly apple snails and fresh water mollusks. It's beak is adapted in a criss cross at the end like a snail kite. Also known for it's haunting call. As far as the grass color, in south Florida we really only have two seasons, wet (spring/summer) and dry (fall/winter). The grassses never die but get dry and brown in the winter. We also had a dry spring this year and the wet season has just begun within the last month or so. As the grasses get more water, they turn from brown to yellow to light spring green to a fuller lush green.
    As always, thanks for your valued inputs.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like this a lot David! Those waves are so cool. Great pose too and I agree with Will on using a faster SS to freeze the leg. Personally, I'd clone out some of the distracting flowers (LHS corner and right next to the bird's raised leg) and grass (below the beak and intersecting with the left knee), but very cool shot nonetheless!

11. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice frame.
    I like the raised foot.
    I would clone out the little flower "dot" in front of the bird. It keeps pulling my eye away from the limpkin.
    I think the image has a slight yellow cast. The plumage seems to have a lot of yellow in the browns as does the grass. Perhaps, it was the light ?
    Gail

13. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    Hi Brian, both good questions. Limpkins are a very unique bird found only in Florida in the U.S. They also range south in the caribbean and central america. The Limpkin is the only member of it's taxonomic family Aramidae. Although it resembles herons and ibises in general form the Limpkin is generally considered to be more closely related to rails and cranes. It eats mostly apple snails and fresh water mollusks. It's beak is adapted in a criss cross at the end like a snail kite. Also known for it's haunting call. As far as the grass color, in south Florida we really only have two seasons, wet (spring/summer) and dry (fall/winter). The grassses never die but get dry and brown in the winter. We also had a dry spring this year and the wet season has just begun within the last month or so. As the grasses get more water, they turn from brown to yellow to light spring green to a fuller lush green.
    As always, thanks for your valued inputs.
    Thanks for the great info David!

15. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Nice frame.
    I like the raised foot.
    I would clone out the little flower "dot" in front of the bird. It keeps pulling my eye away from the limpkin.
    I think the image has a slight yellow cast. The plumage seems to have a lot of yellow in the browns as does the grass. Perhaps, it was the light ?
    Gail
    Hi Gail, Yes this was about 30 minutes before sunset with very light clouds making the sun look like a big fog lamp. Also, this evening was on the leading edge of a wave of the yearly Saharan Dust cloud making it go a little towards orange/red. I don't have the vision to see the nuanced color but I know nature photographers love this time of year in Florida. Not sure if this phenomenon spreads further across U.S.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice find the image does have a color cast and I am seeing quite a bit of color noise in the plumage. Wish the angle was lower

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

18. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post