Thread: A Bug

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default A Bug

Attached Images Attached Images

Sorry I haven't a clue what it is, I guess approx 12mm max in length, it was on the grasses by the side of my pond. It does have a long pointed beak like protuberance but unfortunately it has tucked it away. I did get a shot where it was visible but he was waving his antennae about so the stack became very messy.

Stacked 7 image using Zerene

Hand held
    Olympus : E-M1X
    Lens : OLYMPUS M.60mm F2.8 Macro
    Lens focal length : 60 mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 120.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 200
    Exposure time : 1/250 sec
    F number : F6.3
    Exposure compensation : 0.0 EV
    Flash : OFF

ACR/PSCC

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like an insect in Grasshopper family. The markings and the legs and the thorax are very similar to those of grasshoppers. Stacking has worked well except for the antenna. Great background. Nice image. I hope someone will give the exact ID of the insect.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jon, pretty cool capture and I like the minimal backdrop, works really well to slate the subject. Would have been nice to have some more to the LHS, but that may not have been possible. Under the circumstances you did well with the stacking and have got some nice detail and sharpness, I don't think the waving antenna is an issue. Could you have gained some more SS?

Not sure if you have tweaked your PP, but like the Tiger I find the colours going a bit red/warm and you could also up the exposure. Jon took the liberty again!!!, but can't help but feel you are not doing yourself justice, but it's just my take, also added a small vignette to draw the eye.

TFS
    Steve

PS took the opportunity to remove the dark leaf on the LHS just creeping in.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 06-29-2020 at 05:52 AM.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ravi, Steve thanks for replying.
    Steve idon't mind at all I am always pleased to see a different version - even more pleased when it is better and I think yours is. The bright highlights were not blown at capture but they were bright, the problem was that the chitin is so very shiny and it can make the viewer think the highlights are blown. As I recall I brought them down and I may also have brought the exposure down a tad also. Maybe it was unnecessary. The red/warm you are seeing has me a little disconcerted, I am not sure what is going wrong.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well it's a bug for sure. A nice view of this bug. I like the composition and the framing. Detail and sharpness looks right on. Solid background as well.