Thread: The lonely watcher (Roe deer- Capreolus capreolus)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default The lonely watcher (Roe deer- Capreolus capreolus)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hy everyone, this a shot taken on brief winter spell in march 2018, with a bitter windchill. Taken with 1DX mk I +100-400 mk. II with 1.4 TC III at 560 mm, f 10 1/2500 ISO 800. PP in DPP 4.12 and CS 6. The image had a blue cast so I reduced the saturation on blue in DPP by -4 and increased the exposure by +0.33 and cloned out 2 clumps of earth lower LHS (just couldnt get it done in CS6:). CS6 is intimidating for now, so I only cloned out a dust spot, and saved for web.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the setting with that snow. Works very well small in the frame.

3. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Dan, a lovely winter scene and the blue works well here!!! f/10 is wasted I feel, f/5.6 would have been fine, however I feel the deer is just a bit too far to the left, you should look at Rules of thirds it will help for composition. I do like the tree on the LHS and the way the land on the right comes to a point. I do think that a bolder on the RHS needs to go, just catches my eye.

So, coming slightly in on the RHS, horizontal line on the far hillside base gives you a third below, and the deer slightly further in, position could be tweaked even more, just crudely done, but WDYT?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you John and Steve for your comments. @Steve, 1-4 +TC is 560 at f8, so I think i stopped down for more sharpness, I do know now that f9 is enough. Indeed, I should have left more space to the left, but I only managed 2 shots and then he trotted away. You're right about that boulder, but I dont know yet how to make it dissapear (how did you?). I like your repost, can you tell me what did you do, how did you move him more to the right in the frame?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, any chance you can upgrade via Adobe cloud, so you are running the latest software? It’s a pay by month, but if you stopped you could not revisit any new files you processed.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your suggestion Steve, maybe I'll do that after I feel confident with CS6, which for now I don't, despite having Artie's and Arash's guides. Steep learning curve I guess:)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, it's worth the investment as the software has really improved dramatically and makes life so much easier. PSCC is the best software out, but I would say 99% of folk here barely scratch the surface with it. Understand the basics and it will put you in a good position and probably no need for additional third party stuff. If you do decide let me know as there is a good book that will offer the basics and it would bog you down with tech stuff, just solid advice & help.

Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan ,it's nice seeing roe posted here I really like this small in frame image . Lots of atmosphere from the snow. I also quite like the placement ,so far over to the left, which is possibly an unusual one for me.

TFS

stu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan this is brilliant. Totally loved it and I too have my opinions on this but these kind of images are always subjective and such perceptions do have opinions . So i will reserve it for myself and enjoy this image. Glad I came across this.

BTW Steve's RP has better framing IMO.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your comments Haseeb. Indeed Steve's repost is better then my framing, when I took the shoot I was at f8, focused and recomposed and got off 3 shots. In the heat of the moment didnt quite payed attention to framimg. Oh well, learned something from it. Maybe I should try canvas, still learning the ropes of PP.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hey Dan, I love this a ton and your original image design is fabulous. By ignoring the "rules" you've given the deer a chance to look out at the whole stark expanse. And that is exactly what this image is about. Congrats!

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

14. Thanks Bretoteanu Dan thanked for this post