Thank You Posts

Default Red Kite

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4iii
    f/5.6
    1/1600
    ISO 1600

This is another frame from my time with the Red kites before lockdown....HH. ACR ad PS2020...Thanks for looking.

Will

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Off the charts beautiful capture, William. Like everything about this image. Love the intensity in his eye and the wing and tail positions. Lovely light as well.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Killer all around. Love the high key treatment and that dorsal view. Nice and sharp as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the diving pose, high key, sharpness and composition. Well done William.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will, this is such a different image from the norm with the high key and downward flight path. I love it.

What's up with that upper primary wing? Almost an optical illusion.

I think it was you that had the twin banking Kites, yes? The KITE KING!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another killer kite frame. Great flight pose, exposure, details. Congratulations, Will.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very cool pose, Will, I have to say that the HA is such it makes it
    hard to engage with the subject, but it really attractive...
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi William, very good.. congratulations

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi William. Seeing this image (and taking nothing away from your skill) makes me think I should stick with Canon...dump the 7Dii for a used 1DX or 1DXii and get the 400mm DOii. A great capture, feather detail, sharpness. I'm fine with the HA...you can see the determination in its eye. High key works so well (wouldn't expect blue sunny skies in Scotland...lol)

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for the views and comments...much appreciated

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Burdett View Post
    Hi William. Seeing this image (and taking nothing away from your skill) makes me think I should stick with Canon...dump the 7Dii for a used 1DX or 1DXii and get the 400mm DOii. A great capture, feather detail, sharpness. I'm fine with the HA...you can see the determination in its eye. High key works so well (wouldn't expect blue sunny skies in Scotland...lol)
    Hi Paul.....I started with the 7D, then moved onto 7DMk2, thereafter the 5D Mk3....the 1DX then the 1DX Mk2 which I have now....It can be a costly business as you will know.. I am more than happy with my 1DX Mk2, it serves it purpose...fast enough for BIF and good enough IQ. I am sure as time goes on there will be better cameras available, but, for me, the 1DX Mk2 is perfect for what I do. My first 'decent' lens was the Canon f/4 500mm(the old 500)...I loved the lens but by using it a lot, it gave me an injury on my left shoulder which required surgery last year. It was a heavy lens. The Canon 400mm DO Mk2 I find a lot more easier to handle, it is a lot lighter, so when doing flight, I find it easier to hold for longer periods and also easier to lock focus whilst doing flight. Using it with the 1.4 attached hardly makes a difference to the weight and IQ I think the IQ for this lens is very good. Obviously I won't get the same reach as I did with the old 500 with the 1.4 attached. With the 1.4 attached to the 400 it is also easy to lock onto birds in flight. The 2X attached to the 400 also gives good IQ and is easy to focus on perched birds. At 800mm it is not as easy to lock onto birds in flight, but is manageable, and I am now finding it easier the longer I use the lens at 800mm. I have never used a Nikon nor Sony camera, so I cannot comments on them, but going by some of the images posted on here with those cameras they appear real good. I don't think I would be able to lock onto Swifts, Martins, Swallows etc with my 2x attached..these birds will be far too fast for me...but I can live with that. The bare f/4 400mm DO Mk2 is killer. And, we have sunny skies today ....Hope this info helps Paul.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Will, this is such a different image from the norm with the high key and downward flight path. I love it.

What's up with that upper primary wing? Almost an optical illusion.

I think it was you that had the twin banking Kites, yes? The KITE KING!
    Hi Brian...thanks for that. I have seen a few Red kites with the one part of the primary white...sometimes its on both wings..don't know why that is...The birds will know

Will

13. Thanks Brian Sump thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really artistic frame. The colors just crack in the high-key surrounds. Head angle isn't ideal, but the image is so striking I think it still works pretty well. Detail across the wings looks great.

15. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by William Dickson View Post
    Hi Brian...thanks for that. I have seen a few Red kites with the one part of the primary white...sometimes its on both wings..don't know why that is...The birds will know

Will
    It is possible that all the primaries are like that and that you only see the white when the feataher is misplaced (un-hooked from the next one ...) Maybe.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

17. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will,
    Thanks so much for the reply and info...glad you've got sunny skies! Cheers.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

That one stunning frame Will. Not only a fine capture, but it's beautifully processed.
    Robert Kimbrell

20. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post