Thread: Catcher on the Fly - Forster's Tern

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Catcher on the Fly - Forster's Tern

Name:  Foster's Tern - catcher on the fly ps wm bpn.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  588.4 KB

Enjoyed shooting terns end of last week. Good tracking experience/learning. Mostly working on following the hover, drop, entry/exit. Lots of erratic movement so working to determine best SS for such action/movements. Thankfully had good light (if a bit strong) - so could have - and it looks like SHOULD have bumped my SS up a notch or two. With that -- sharper image (?)... but... for what it is, I like the action. Hope to return for a second "show" end of this week.

Details:

Sony A9ii + 200-600, 2500, 400, 330mm, 6.3, HH, C1P/PS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

love the angle and the water drops, nailed the action here. details are bit coarse and lacking to be honest, is it a big crop?
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, more crop than one wants - maybe 40%. This from having to be zoomed out enough to track the subject in the drop "phase" of the sequence. Might either have to pre-focus on the potential "drop zone" and forgo the hover and descent sequence. Wanted it all though - and think - with practice it might be able to grab details with greater success.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jay, love the title

So the a9ii is FF at 24 mp right, so cropping would be similar to a Nikon D500 which is a crop sensor at 21mp? This was very close to being a top-shelf image but agree with Ari, just a bit too much loss in IQ.

Superb action though! TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the splashing water and that view of the fish. Neat pose as well.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, wonderful wing position and the fish really adds to the image. I have to agree with Arash regarding the detail, also the blacks on my display appear blocked. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto the others, but fun action for sure! It would be tough to pre-focus on an anticipated "drop zone" as you do not know ahead of time exactly where it will touch the water. I think following the hover/drop and then trying to stop panning as it hits the water would be your best bet, but even then that is a tough shoot, especially if the subject is big in the frame. Keep at it, this is what it's all about!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Joel
    I know we talked but wanted to point out a few things for others too

first I don't bother with hover, those shots are usually not great (steep angle, bad light, etc.) . I just watch for the splash, after the splash you got 1-4 seconds to lock on the splash before the tern comes out and pulls up. The Sony A9II will then track and nail it. How much you can crop depends on how sharp the raw is, with that 200-600 it's a tough call to make large crops, ain't gonna work. when you get your big six you can easily make more than 50% crops that will be just fine

here is photo taken at the same location, tern missed and came out with a big mouth instead of fish. Light angle wasn't as good as yours (strong highlights and shadows) but just to show the IQ.... this was 8.5 mega pixels or about 35% of the original after cropping. Also later in the evening is better since heat shimmers calm down a bit. at 6PM it's sometimes a waste of time over the lake because of the shimmers

cheers
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The action ins money, but the IQ unfortunately holds this image back. Fortunately, terns usually give you multiple opportunities one day to the next, so I think a return visit to get a similar but
    sharper frame is in order. I think I know where this was taken and will be visiting the spot in the next few weeks. Maybe I'll run into you!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm planning to go over from 4:30 till sundown or so on Friday. Come if you can..

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Ditto the others, but fun action for sure! It would be tough to pre-focus on an anticipated "drop zone" as you do not know ahead of time exactly where it will touch the water. I think following the hover/drop and then trying to stop panning as it hits the water would be your best bet, but even then that is a tough shoot, especially if the subject is big in the frame. Keep at it, this is what it's all about!
    Thanks Dan.

By drop zone pre-focus I was just meaning to forgo trying to capture the hover and drop and prep the shot for entry (if lucky) and exit (more likely). Yes, the drop all over the place so one never knows. I'll give it a few more visits with the 2-6 and then should have my 600 and see what its like with that lens. Cheers.