Thread: Rainy Day Lesson

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rainy Day Lesson

Attached Images Attached Images

Sandhill Crane adult in torrential rain

This image was created on 25 MAY 2020 from my SUV at Indian Lake Estates, FL. I used the Induro GIT 304L/FlexShooter Pro-mounted Sony FE 600mm f/4 GM OSS lens, Sony FE 1.4x teleconverter, and the blazingly fast AF King, the Sony Alpha a9 II Mirrorless Digital Camera Body. ISO 1000. Exposure determined by Zebras with ISO on the rear dial: 1/200 sec. at f/5.6 in Manual mode. AWB at 10:00am in the pouring rain.
    Tracking Flexible Spot (M) AF-C was active at the moment of exposure and performed to perfection, even shooting through the heavy rain.

Aside from keeping your gear dry, the trick in heavy rain is to vary your shutter speeds in the 1/125 to 1/400 sec. range. The lengths of the blurred streaks will depend on how heavy the rain is and the distance to the subject. Once you have the right exposure bee sure to try different shutter speeds.

As for the image, don't be shy; all comments are welcome and appreciated.

For more on shooting in the rain see the Photographing Birds in Heavy Downpours During Thunderstorms. Learn About Protecting Your Gear and the Best Shutter Speeds ... blog post here.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

2. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post