Thread: Bejeweled lord of the lake

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Bejeweled lord of the lake

Attached Images Attached Images

This loon had just surfaced and when still coated with small droplets. It was 8:30 pm, so the light was starting to soften, but still bright enough to help make the drops pop.

D500 600 f/6.3 ISO 560 1/1600s . Shot from my little boat

Post: LR CC, PS2020, small crop to show the drops better, cleaned up pupils.

The lack of detail in the body comes from still being covered with a sheet of water, and of course fall off in DOF

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow Randy beautiful,no critiques from me. Wonder what another version would look like with some more brightness or exposure. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool view like the water drops on my screen the image looks under exposed

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Only way to top that last image and you found it... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys. I am on the road with my laptop, and not under my usual controlled processing conditions. Here is a repost with a very modest curves adjustment.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a unique Loon image. No nits from me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, so different and such a wonderful perspective of the bird I'm not sure what I can suggest. Almost looks surreal.

Thank you for sharing this. Will add that I think the curves adj made a positive impact.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love it when water-bead stripes form on the head like this, and you captured it beautifully. Low angle works well as per usual. I'm seeing a pretty heavy blue cast - your WB is usually bang-on, but here I do feel it is off a bit?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes Randy lots better the head and droplets even pop more. I know what you mean with the laptop. The last image I processed on the laptop was over saturated.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Those droplets look like a starbust. Really really nice.
    I would decrease the blues and greens in the water - they seem very intense and pull my eye away from the loon.
    Repost looks better than OP but I think this needs a bit more tweaking on your main computer. The potential of this unique image is very strong!
    Gail

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great look, the best I have seen of a head on like this.
    Excellent.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice frame of this loon. The head on look is great. Of course those water droplets as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A total stunner. I see what Arassh is talking about as it looks as if the head might have been in partial shadow, a strip right up the center of the head ... . But I love it, love it, love it. It looks like a lion with that huge head. This is one very special image.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, I can only strongly echo all the previous comments. Wonderful image, thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks again everyone.

Daniel: I certainly can see the cast you mentioned, esp. on the body. Since it is covered with a thin sheet of water, I rather expect some color effect there. I did a version with the blues toned down on the body, and it does look good, so will tweak a bit at home.

Artie: Thanks, and funny you mention the lion, because I had that same thought at I was processing the image! There were no shadows out in the middle of the lake to cause the effect on the head, but I see the area in question.

In all the years I have been photographing loons, this image had the best drops on the head and the lighting to make them pop.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Stout View Post
    Thanks again everyone.

Artie: Thanks, and funny you mention the lion, because I had that same thought at I was processing the image! There were no shadows out in the middle of the lake to cause the effect on the head, but I see the area in question.

In all the years I have been photographing loons, this image had the best drops on the head and the lighting to make them pop.

Cheers

Randy
    Hey Randy, I tried messing with the slightly dark area in the center of the head and failed miserably despite several attempts :) I like the contrast in the original post ...

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Holy s.h...t. That is a stunning image mister Loon. What a fantastic moment. Are you shure the bird is not remote controlled