Thread: White-tail buck

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default White-tail buck

Attached Images Attached Images

This image was created in Ithaca, New York on 5/30/20 at 7:05AM. Image processed in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Hand held, Full frame.

Canon 5D MarkIV
    Canon 500 f/4 IS USM
    ISO 4000
    f4.0
    1/500sec

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This one isn't one of your best deer shots John - sorry but not keen.
    The image is very clean for ISO 4000, the deer is good and sharp so why am I not keen?
    I am not entirely sure about the colours, do they accurately reflect the scene? Is it a bit green/yellow?
    This will sound a minor point but I think in this case it is significant, the tree trunk on the rhs is a significant distraction, the deer is pretty much in the central position, it gives it a non engaging sort of appearance. The angle/height from which it was captured has effectively hidden its legs,again I would say not desirable.
    Easy for me to say but if the deer was further away I think the composition could have been improved, if not possible then I would have considered going lower to show the head popping over the grasses.

3. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John, Jon raises so very valid points and I agree to a point.

This one isn't one of your best deer shots John - sorry but not keen.
    Actual Jon, I quite like it, because you have 'visible' habitat which provides context and interest and a welcome change from previous postings.

The image is very clean for ISO 4000, the deer is good and sharp
    Agree and here the DoF works for once.

I am not entirely sure about the colours, do they accurately reflect the scene? Is it a bit green/yellow?
    Based on the OP the WB is out, going cooler on the Temp & adding more Magenta on the Tint provides the neural point which will help you John then build on Colour management.

This will sound a minor point but I think in this case it is significant, the tree trunk on the rhs is a significant distraction, the deer is pretty much in the central position, it gives it a non engaging sort of appearance. The angle/height from which it was captured has effectively hidden its legs,again I would say not desirable.
    The tree trunk to the LHS is distracting, crop or clone would help and there needs more room to the RHS, RoT's would help and engaging the grid within camera may also benefit composure. having a bit more below may help this Jon?

Easy for me to say but if the deer was further away I think the composition could have been improved, if not possible then I would have considered going lower to show the head popping over the grasses.
    As this is FF you are too close John, you are not allowing yourself room to crop. By all means crop in camera, but allow yourself some breathing room in PP your images will be better.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks John Mack thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi John -- I pretty much agree with the above detailed comments , sums up things nicely. For me the biggest problem here is the BKG , not that it is aweful or something like that but would have preferred a cleaner BKG with better separation, IMO, tht would have really elevated the image.

TFS !