Thread: Grey Fantail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Grey Fantail

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi all,
    Great to be able to get out again and photograph birds. Here is a Grey Fantail taken recently. Processed in ACR and PS...some distracting branches removed. Cheers.

7Dii, 100-400@400mm, 1/400th sec f5.6, iso500, HH.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, a fine capture. I'll let others comment on sharpening as I'm not familiar with this species.

I'm curious though, what is the blurred white streak in the mouth opening? Sorry for my ignorance.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a beauty, sharp right where it needs to be for my taste and a BG that sets off this colorful cutie. Good to see you out and posting again. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great to have you back Paul and a nice restart.
    Maybe clean up the excess catchlights.
    That white streak is the tip of the tongue, a bit distracting but part of the bird!
    Hopefully you will be able to get a shot of the full bird on a less bulky perch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks all...much appreciated. Colin...I have many shots of this species...they do pose well. Cheers.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Paul, looks about the size of a Blue Tit?

Just my take, but:
    WB looks off with tinges of magenta and a heavy casts of blue coming through
    Looks a bit over sharpened and again blacks/contrast masking the detail
    BKG appears to have some work done in parts, these need addressing
    The perch is quite 'contrasty' ie strong HL's with some nice tonal areas, if this is a set up perhaps wet the stick to reduce HL's, or here use an adjustment brush?
    Overall a bit more DoF would have been better
    Like the HA and open bill
    Would clone out the tail feathers creeping below the stick
    A bit more image content at the foot would be nice, personally I feel it's a bit tight.

Hope it helps.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice but...
    The image needs a color balance adjustment. I see a lot of magenta on the branch and the whites. Also see some blues in the balcks.
    If you fix this, you will have a lovely image.
    I also see some cloning marks to the right of the bird. A bit of "housekeeping" will fix this nicely,
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks so much Steve and Gail for your suggestions. Originally I was happy with the BG white balance except that it was a little too yellow, so I reduced that a bit. I do see the magenta/blue that you mention, but I'm happy with the bird's colouring...it's as I saw it, and pretty close to other images I've seen online.
    Steve: Doesn't appear over sharpened to me, but I guess that's personal preference. (I must admit that many images that are posted here seem over sharpened to me). The branch is not a setup, but I agree that it could be toned down a little..might re-edit the image at some point. I was quite close to the bird, so yes, maybe f8 would have been a better aperture. The cloning suggestion is good...must admit, I never spotted that! The "too tight" comment is noted, but I'm fine as is. Yes, I did have to remove some distracting branches in the BG...my main issue is the small patch of green below the beak/chest area...it was larger, but it is going into the top of the feathers there, so not the best. I do appreciate yours and Gail's comments...I'll revisit the edit. Cheers.
    Last edited by Paul Burdett; 06-02-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Paul, I'm just trying to perhaps make you just look a bit closer...

I'm happy with the bird's colouring
    Are you happy with the blue fringing, the blue/black in the head and with the way the blue bleeds int to whites? It's not perfect, but the main colour comments are addressed, you can then take it in whatever direction you then wish. Download to your DT and open both in PS one under the other and you can visibly see the changes.

Steve: Doesn't appear over sharpened to me, but I guess that's personal preference. (I must admit that many images that are posted here seem over sharpened to me).
    Your call.

I did have to remove some distracting branches in the BG
    PS2020 has come a long way since I first starting using CS2 in the early/mid 90's, but content removal is so easy, quick and at times seamless, however it all comes down to using the right tools, but NEVER work on the main layer, always a duplicate.

Paul, obviously with the raw rather than a small sRGB file one can achieve a lot more. BTW watch those pruned branches can create an ugly spot.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Paul, I meant to add, I much prefer the more muted backdrop in the OP as it adds some nice separation compared to mine, it's rather heavy!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sweet looking little bird. I like the pose with the open mouth. A nice perch and background as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve...comparing the two...your edit looks better than mine. Your BG colour is much closer to what mine was originally before I changed it somewhat. Cheers!