Thread: Mallard - Taking Leave

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Mallard - Taking Leave

Though common, I still enjoy catching all manner of Mallard activity. Saw this fella handing around the southern area of the lake and knew he was soon to depart. Got a number of shots of his leave. Wish I could post a series of shots in order to have a post/discussion about choosing best images from a series. (possible?)

Enough talk: Sony A9ii, 200-600 @ 600/6.3, ISO 500, 2000, HH, Post: C1P, PS, NI

TFL.

Name:  Mallard - Taking Leave M NR wm bpn.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  567.2 KB

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jay, nice frame!
    You got a sharp bird with some nice detail and plenty of colors in the water and background. I think the wing position is okay but when it comes to chosing the best from this series you might have another frame with a full up or down stroke? I prefer the down stroke on Mallards as it displays the blue wing panel.
    My biggest issue with this frame is the harsh light. It seems like it isn't bstraight behind you either. As a result most of the beautiful colors in the head feathers and neck are lacking. There are also some blown highlights. I would try this subject again under better conditions but it really is a pleasing frame as is.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The downstroke pose is nice. Like the curled up wing tips as well. The light looks pretty nice.