Thread: Goldn INKWE !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Goldn INKWE !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post, as always much appreciated.

Posting an image of a Leopardess that we sighted at Botswana on my previous trip there in the recent past. Similar to our Tiger sightings here(India), I experienced the same thing with the flux of tourists vehicles chasing the cat. This female , appeared to be an old and experienced cat , was nonchalant and paved its way through the cars. She climbed this big log and perched herself atop. Luckily, people were short on patience and went their way and I stood my ground to have some nice opportunity to photograph this cat on its ideal perch. I also found the light pretty interesting, because of the colours in the sky.

Would love to get your comments and suggestions , be it of any nature.

DPP 4.12, PSCC 2020, WB, TK7 panel, curves, levels, selective colour, cropped from top, sharpened the subject, one And of NR on bkg.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400 f4 IS II, Bean Bag.

ss 1/400, f/7.1, iso 5000.

Haseeb.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, I very much like this, but was the FG so almost mono with such a rich backdrop, any chance of seeing the raw?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

3. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Haseeb, what a nice cat you've got! Nice posture, i like the intense stare and the texture of the tree. Can you add a bit more space above the leopardess, the color of the BG is really nice?

5. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Haseeb, thanks for the file, it's sharp and you did will on the exposure.

WB albeit different to DPP or ACR 5250, Tint 10, dropped Exp -0.20. Tweaked the HL's, Blacks, Clarity, Dehaze, added Vibrance because of the strong yellow/Orange, Saturation, Tonal mCurve adj, HSL (SL only), pre sharpen. Exp to PS Channel Curves, Luminosity saturation blend, Lights Curve, blew in a bit of colour to remove the white HL's at the top. Exp to LR then exported out to FF.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve and Dan, much appreciated.

@ Dan : i do have some space at the top , but due to the strong HL's I preferred this crop.

@ Steve: Thank you for your Rp, really liked it, I now understand where i missed it during PP . Will process my self by incorporating your suggestions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, I would love to have had this in my collection. At ISO5000 is really good, HL's not a problem, file was good and so easy to process.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, while processing , I thought it was going well and some point I lost my way I guess. To be honest, I was ok with the BKG colours but somehow colours on Leopard didnt pleased me. I was lazy to reprocess it and tried to rework for improving things. Very pleased with what you have done here.

There is still a handicap with me in using some tools properly , I have something in my mind but results turn out to be different. Will gladly accept that fact, need to have a better understanding.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

There is still a handicap with me in using some tools properly , I have something in my mind but results turn out to be different. Will gladly accept that fact, need to have a better understanding.
    Haseeb, yes it's all about time and learning, but what is key IMHO is keeping things simple:

1. Expose ETTR, but balance SS and ISO
    2. The capture is SHARP
    3. Keep your adjustments minimal
    4. Know what each tool does and the impact it has
    5. Avoid large crops

I'm getting back into a new raw converter I've played with over the last 2-3 years, far harder/complicated than PS/Capture One, but far better and Andreas has now also jumped onto it too, but you have all the tools & kit you ever need, just hone things.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

1 ) check ( used mostly on my recent trip and results are to be seen ( especially with high ISO ).
    2) Very imp no substitute for this.
    3) Yes , will keep it simple .
    4) still learning that , hope to get a better understanding with time ( Steve and Andreas , will trouble you on that ).
    5) Hate large crops.

Thanks.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely view of this leopard. Looks pretty content with hanging out on that big log. Background color is very nice.

13. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a fine piece of work, both the leopard and your image are, Haseeb. I like your original post because it feels just right to me and most likely what you saw with the naked eye. Steve I think you've opened up a bit to much and have gone a little warm, but that's just my take. I can feel the warmth in the original.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu

15. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the framing here Haseeb, but might have tried to emphasis that nice rim lighting on the leopard, and would have gone for a different processing altogether with less light/shadow on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Montagu View Post
    Steve I think you've opened up a bit to much and have gone a little warm, but that's just my take.

Geoffrey
    Agree with Geoffrey here, plus the HL's are a tad distracting IMO.

TFS

17. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you John, Geoffrey and Marc , thanks for your comments and suggestions, much appreciated .