Thread: Leading Lady - (Red-necked Phalaropes)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Leading Lady - (Red-necked Phalaropes)

I had one of those rare and incredible photographic mornings yesterday. While SF Bay holds TONS of birds, it's not great for shooting because
    elevated dikes, access rules, pollution, and litter make getting into the habitat impossible. That said, I was exploring a new area on my bike
    on Sunday, and I encountered a small area where I thought I could access stilts and avocets. Investigating those, I ran into 8 Red-necked Phalaropes
    in full breeding plumage. I only had my old skool 7D + 400/5.6 with me on the bicycle, so I snapped a few frames for laughs (I use that portable rig
    to document sightings while birding). Anyway, I returned to the site in the car and with my real rig very early the following morning (yesterday/Monday)
    and found the migrating phalaropes still present (they're headed to the Arctic. I took well over 800 photos in the next hour, and a surprising 10 or so
    made the final cut. You'll be getting bombarded with this species in the next week. I was face down in goose **** the entire time, but it was well worth it.

As for phalaropes, it is important to understand that females are more brightly colored than males. They drive the species's genetics, and females mate
    with males in a sequentially polyandrous manner; after each mating, she splits and leaves the male to incubate the eggs and raise the clutch. Phalaropes
    are also very interesting because they're a very rare example of a pelagic shorebird, much of the population wintering in tropical oceans during the
    non-breeding months. It's amazing to imagine the rough oceanic conditions this 7" bird survives as it migrates from the Arctic to the tropics.

I imagine many won't like this image because of the second bird, but I'm in love with it for exactly that reason; it shows the sexual dimorphism nicely, the
    brighter female in the front (where she belongs in this evolutionary example) and the duller male in the rear. It's really the neck and head patterning that
    differentiates the sexes - she with solid slate crown and he with blackish earpatch - so the juxtaposition of the two birds facilitates that comparison in this
    instance. I will post some more-traditional, single-bird frames as the week progresses.

Canon 600mm f/4 IS II + 1.4x III on EOS 1DX2
    1/2500 at f/5.6, ISO 640
    Processed in LR CC without major trickery. I did remove some distracting spots on the water to smooth it out.

Name:  red-necked phalarope pair 052520.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  494.0 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lot to look at.... Always tricky with OOF background birds.
    I don't mind it but wish it did not intersect with main subject as much.
    The main subject is gorgeous.
    The dark strip at the top is the worst aspect of the photo for me.
    I know you don't like to do much with your photos, but if it were mine I would
    use the PS healing brush and blend this in a bit, especially the dark patch right above the head.
    Last edited by dankearl; 05-26-2020 at 01:22 PM.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

This is quick and dirty, but this is the idea of what I might do.
    Probably way too much for.

rnfix.jpg
    Dan Kearl

4. Thanks Volkan Akgul thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks, Dan. I have a bunch of to-be-posted images with perfect back/foregrounds, so I forewent the heavy-handed cloning you nicely demonstrated.
    This was mostly to set the stage for what's to come. I do agree more separation between the bird would have been better, but it was really hard to get
    that in the small patch of water where these birds were.

Quote Originally Posted by dankearl View Post
    A lot to look at.... Always tricky with OOF background birds.
    I don't mind it but wish it did not intersect with main subject as much.
    The main subject is gorgeous.
    The dark strip at the top is the worst aspect of the photo for me.
    I know you don't like to do much with your photos, but if it were mine I would
    use the PS healing brush and blend this in a bit, especially the dark patch right above the head.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a great find. I'm not often a fan of oof background birds, but this one works for me, for the reasons you mention. As an alternate to Dan's RP, I might have used a very low opacity Paintbrush to paint in some of the lighter (umber?) color over the darkest areas above the bird, just enough to tone it down a fraction. What I would call minor trickery, not major. In any case, it's a lovely shot and I'm looking forward to more.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dorian, I am grateful not only for a wonderful photo but also the education here. Well done.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man, that is one awesome pair. I love the juxtaposition in this one. Also like Dan's repost. Can't wait for more... TFS

ps
    great art... great education...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks like you had a killer day!
    Love the light, low POV and color palette.
    Have to agree that a bit more separation between the 2 phalaropes would have been ideal but this is still a great image!
    Looking forward to the rest of the series!
    Gail

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautifull colors on the female, and I like the way the OOF male is placed in the frame, it gives depht. Plus the reflection and the little wave in front of the female' breast which suggests movement. As for more tehnical comments I'm pretty much a newbie for the ,oment.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Highly appealing! Just enough separation for the juxtaposition to work, but I suppose a bit more for more separation on the reflection's bill tip would be a nice bonus too. You know I love the low angle. I love the warm colours with the touch of blue on the water ripples.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty nice with the two birds positioned like they are. I like the light and color of the water.