Thread: Tricolored Heron With Fish

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tricolored Heron With Fish

Attached Images Attached Images

I captured this image on Blackpoint Wildlife Drive in Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, Merritt Island, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for vieiwng.

Nikon D7000
    Nikon 55-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED HH
    1/1000 F/8 Matrix Metering EV -1 ISO 200 Auto WB, image captured at 240mm
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic, Photoshop CC 2020 and Neat Image for noise reduction
    Cropped for composition and presentation
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Joe, nice action shot.

Is that yellow color in the whites true to the bird at time of capture?

Also, perhaps some motion blur at 1/1000?

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the action, those neck/back plumes, clear view of the snack and especially the droplets going all the way out the top of the frame. Yes Brian, the yellows are typical for this species. Only wish for slightly better angle on the eye (but the action happens when it happens). TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    Joe, nice action shot.

Is that yellow color in the whites true to the bird at time of capture?

Also, perhaps some motion blur at 1/1000?
    Hey Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. I saw the yellow on the white, it was on the original/master file. I went back and forth regarding removing it but decided to leave it as is. I did not want to do a global adjustment of lower the yellow in the image because I like the colors as shown, lowering the yellows would have changed all the colors. To do it without a global adjustment I would have had to use the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom with a Luminace Mask, just lazy I guess. Easy to remove but I wasn't sure if it would improve the image and might alter what was really there. Here is a repost with the yellow removed.

Regarding the shutter speed, now 1/1000 seems slow for action but I used cameras when the top shutter speed was 1/1000 and that was used for birds in flight all the time. I didn't see any motion blur in the image, if you do please come back and show me where.

Thanks again, Brian I appreciated your comments.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Przybyla View Post
    Hey Brian, thank you for viewing and commenting. I saw the yellow on the white, it was on the original/master file. I went back and forth regarding removing it but decided to leave it as is. I did not want to do a global adjustment of lower the yellow in the image because I like the colors as shown, lowering the yellows would have changed all the colors. To do it without a global adjustment I would have had to use the Adjustment Brush in Lightroom with a Luminace Mask, just lazy I guess. Easy to remove but I wasn't sure if it would improve the image and might alter what was really there. Here is a repost with the yellow removed.

Regarding the shutter speed, now 1/1000 seems slow for action but I used cameras when the top shutter speed was 1/1000 and that was used for birds in flight all the time. I didn't see any motion blur in the image, if you do please come back and show me where.

Thanks again, Brian I appreciated your comments.
    Appreciate the thoughtful explanation Joe.

I will let others chime in but the head appears a little smooth and eye is a tad blurry to me, which made me think maybe there was a little motion blur. I'm sure the bird was wet though and that makes a difference.

Nonetheless, I really enjoy your shots!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, do you create a Master Tiff file, or not, as the RP don't look the same in part as the OP? The beauty of having a master file and in your case saved with all layers in tact and saved back to LR is that, any adjustments are simple to implement. Also, why are you using NR with ISO200, it does not make sense? That eye looks a bit over cooked, did you do anything to it?

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Joe, do you create a Master Tiff file, or not, as the RP don't look the same in part as the OP? The beauty of having a master file and in your case saved with all layers in tact and saved back to LR is that, any adjustments are simple to implement. Also, why are you using NR with ISO200, it does not make sense? That eye looks a bit over cooked, did you do anything to it?

Steve
    Hi Steve,yes I do create a master TIFF file, also the original from the camera (either a NEF or DNG) with only tone mapping. The only change to the image from the original post was a luminance mask over the white area and then reducing the saturation of the whites to remove the yellow. The adjustment on the white area was a local adjustment. Nothing else changed. I know you and Andres don't use noise reduction at that ISO. The camera I use is not a full frame sensor camera, same megapixels as the D5 but the sensor is smaller. So smaller photosites packed together more closely. I apply Neat Image noise reduction at 60 % on all images if they have a pure background area that the software can measure the noise. Most times the value is very low 2-3 on whatever scale Neat Image uses. It gives a cleaner background and does not affect the feather detail on the bird. Just something I have found works well with this camera.
    Last edited by Joseph Przybyla; 05-25-2020 at 04:52 PM.
    Joe Przybyla

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the pose and the action on this one. Nice framing as well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply and so just coming back, plus my thought re the image.

Hi Steve,yes I do create a master TIFF file, also the original from the camera (either a NEF or DNG) with only tone mapping.
    Firstly why are you converting a NEF to a DNG, I only do this currently as the Raw converter I am trying out does not support Canon Cr3 files so I convert to DNG? I cannot see any point, surely you import the NEF into LR, work on that, then export direct to PS?

Yes, you can se the localised adjustment, but I would also apply it to the neck & bill, intact actually I would go as far to perhaps make it a Global?

NR, if it's that low I doubt it's 'physically' seen Joe, especially on Social media. As it's applied globally it must affect the image even marginally, it would be interesting to see a posting where no NR has been applied, but without highlighting this to see if it's picked up, a good test perhaps?

Regarding the image, I think you may have boosted both the Yellow in Sat & Luminace, pegging these back I feel offers a more 'reflective' colouration within the white, I can't see any other way how this could have been applied. Obviously you have far more control with the raw and I would, if I was not using the MBPro. 1/1000 wasn't enough Joe, what your eye judges at and what your SS is, are polls apart, no problem having a faster SS you had plenty of ISO to play with here. To me the FP was more towards the body and the bird being angle the head is nearer you. I still like the framing and reflection, but please stay clear of any auto pre sets in PS, they were pants originally and have only slightly improved, you don't need them Joe.

Hope this helps.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, thanks for the reply and so just coming back, plus my thought re the image.

Firstly why are you converting a NEF to a DNG, I only do this currently as the Raw converter I am trying out does not support Canon Cr3 files so I convert to DNG? I cannot see any point, surely you import the NEF into LR, work on that, then export direct to PS?

Yes, you can se the localised adjustment, but I would also apply it to the neck & bill, intact actually I would go as far to perhaps make it a Global?

NR, if it's that low I doubt it's 'physically' seen Joe, especially on Social media. As it's applied globally it must affect the image even marginally, it would be interesting to see a posting where no NR has been applied, but without highlighting this to see if it's picked up, a good test perhaps?

Regarding the image, I think you may have boosted both the Yellow in Sat & Luminace, pegging these back I feel offers a more 'reflective' colouration within the white, I can't see any other way how this could have been applied. Obviously you have far more control with the raw and I would, if I was not using the MBPro. 1/1000 wasn't enough Joe, what your eye judges at and what your SS is, are polls apart, no problem having a faster SS you had plenty of ISO to play with here. To me the FP was more towards the body and the bird being angle the head is nearer you. I still like the framing and reflection, but please stay clear of any auto pre sets in PS, they were pants originally and have only slightly improved, you don't need them Joe.

Hope this helps.

Steve
    Hi Steve, after seeing your edit I will go back to the original and give it go, obviously the yellow was too high. Need to figure that out.

I convert to a DNG because the camera manufacturers use a proprietary format for the RAW file. I have three different Nikon cameras, even though the file is labeled each is different. More software is compatible with DNG than NEF. I do embed the original NEF so I can always extract it if needed or wanted. So nothing lost.

I use Neat Image for noise reduction on the 16 bit TIFF. I use the default settings with noise reduction at 60%. If there is an area of the background that is smooth/pure without detail Neat Image samples that area. Only that area is sampled and the amount of noise determined, no feather detail is sampled. Andreas had this same discussion with Dan Kearl on BPN. The Nikon D500 is a different camera than the D5 or the 1DXIII. The files are more prone to noise because of the sensor design. While the noise may be very slight and not seen in the size posted on BPN taking it out in processing produces a cleaner file that can be sharpened more. There is no image without noise, just a question of how much. Noise is a product of the electronics used in the camera. The stronger the light signal the less the noise, that's the basis for ETTR.

I don't use any presets ever. Don't like the concept for my photography, every image is a individual. For a wedding or other photographer who needs many images to look the same I guess they work. I do 95 % or so of my post processing in Lightroom only using Photoshop for converting the RAW to TIFF, noise reduction and image cleanup. I do not use any third party software other than Neat Image mentioned earlier. I have found the significant upgrades to Lightroom in recent updates to be all I need.

Thanks Steve, I will post the image after I figure it out.

Did you get the email I sent last night, subject line TEST?
    Joe Przybyla

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Global adjustment reducing the yellow saturation. Maybe could go a little more but most of the yellow is gone.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Did you get the email I sent last night, subject line TEST?
    Yes, Did you get my email in return? If not can you PM a different one?

Joe, just thinking, but if you are using NI at such a low pass, why not use LR Masking in the sharpening panel, as is simple plus you can watch for halos, just a thought. Thanks for explaining about the Nikon, thats fine, but will be interested to see about WB and swopping it, does it make a difference, it should and for the better.

The whites look a lot better in the last RP, still not crazy about the eye, however... hope the exchanges have helped. All the best.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yes, Did you get my email in return? If not can you PM a different one?

Joe, just thinking, but if you are using NI at such a low pass, why not use LR Masking in the sharpening panel, as is simple plus you can watch for halos, just a thought. Thanks for explaining about the Nikon, thats fine, but will be interested to see about WB and swopping it, does it make a difference, it should and for the better.

The whites look a lot better in the last RP, still not crazy about the eye, however... hope the exchanges have helped. All the best.
    Hi Steve, of course, all the exchanges help, a learning experience. I did not receive your email, I just checked. Will send another. Thanks again. Off to mow the lawn, will check in later.
    Joe Przybyla

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just replied Joe, just have done our lawn this morning too...