Thread: My world...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default My world...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 70-200 @200 f2.8 1/5300 ISO 800 Cropped to pano from landscape.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pano works wonderfully here for me David. And Burrowing Owls are one of my all-time faves.

Did you saturate yellows?

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, No, not particularly, but I did add 1 point sat in general in DPP. It was probably already pretty saturated due to very overcast conditions. In south Florida we really only have two seasons, dry and wet. It had been a dry winter and all the grass was brown. Because of the TS in the Atlantic we've had a soaker for 3 days in a row and the grasses in this field were turning yellow, then green. Thanks for looking and for your valued inputs.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good idea for the crop, I like the pano aspect but I think I would like a little more head room, this may enable you to get a little more of the sedges in on the RHS. I too was struck by the yellow content but I am unfamiliar with the vegetation and conditions in Florida.

6. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very good idea with the pano crop. The grasses on the right balance the image well. Well seen.
    I agree with others that there is too much yellow. I would drop saturation by 2- 3 points in the yellows.
    Nice image,
    Gail

8. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, I like the concept of the image, the pano works well to show the world of the owl. I agree with others that lowering the yellow might improve the colors. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

10. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashton View Post
    Good idea for the crop, I like the pano aspect but I think I would like a little more head room, this may enable you to get a little more of the sedges in on the RHS. I too was struck by the yellow content but I am unfamiliar with the vegetation and conditions in Florida.
    First and foremost, thanks to all for valued help. Yes, the yellow was there and already quite saturated from the overcast conditions. I have a habit of boosting sat in DPP when it is not needed. Gotta stop that. And you're right Gail I should even desat yellows some more. The original crop was just above that vegetation on the right. Problem was the far treeline had some dark shadows that drew my eyes. Is there a PP technique for mitigating/reducing the dark blobs. I tried simply raising the shadows in that area and it looked fake. Thanks again to everyone for the valued learnings.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love, love, love this but think that my two changes improved it.

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I love, love, love this but think that my two changes improved it.

with love, artie
    OK, So I see the crop, what is the other? The suggested desat? BTW, this first available telephoto for RF is wonderful. Of course my reference point is very old glass. Thanks as always for the valued input.

ps
    I see it now and it's funny to me. I'm in general a little averse to cloning but I did (only clone in this image) clone out a similar grass flower head right above the owls head. I'm sure the one I left further up drew your eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Roach View Post
    OK, So I see the crop, what is the other? The suggested desat? BTW, this first available telephoto for RF is wonderful. Of course my reference point is very old glass. Thanks as always for the valued input.

ps
    I see it now and it's funny to me. I'm in general a little averse to cloning but I did (only clone in this image) clone out a similar grass flower head right above the owls head. I'm sure the one I left further up drew your eye.
    Good work. I almost never use the Clone Stamp Tool. This was done with the Patch Tool in .4 secs. The one above the head was a big distraction for me. The other one sort of balances with the rest of the stuff.

h
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Good work. I almost never use the Clone Stamp Tool. This was done with the Patch Tool in .4 secs. The one above the head was a big distraction for me. The other one sort of balances with the rest of the stuff.

h
    One with all suggested changes. Artie, not familiar with patch tool, will look it up. Jonathon, I tried with my limited PP knowledge to lighten the dark areas at top so I could include entire sedge. This is a large crop and as I suspected the biggest difference between my very old glass and this new RF is resolving power.

Once again, thanks to all for the help, and to you Artie, for a photographic lifetime (since 2006, started late) of learnings.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image David love the bird sitting in tall grass and some flowers. I would have cloned out the spot above the head.TFS

17. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

David, like the edits a lot.

Others can comment too, but a couple ideas that may help:

1. For small dots like the one above the head, I often have great results with the spot healing brush. Size it just bigger than the spot, one click and boom!
    2. Probably the gradient tool may be most effective for top? Use the transparent to black, drag down from top and play around with it

19. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Sump View Post
    David, like the edits a lot.

Others can comment too, but a couple ideas that may help:

1. For small dots like the one above the head, I often have great results with the spot healing brush. Size it just bigger than the spot, one click and boom!
    2. Probably the gradient tool may be most effective for top? Use the transparent to black, drag down from top and play around with it
    Thanks, my man. I will look up those as well. So many ways to skin a cat in PS.
    Last edited by David Roach; 05-24-2020 at 03:04 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool shot, David, I like it a lot.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looking good David...Very nice...the pano crop shows the frame nicely. Well done.

PS Your last post looks good...well balanced.

Will
    Last edited by William Dickson; 05-25-2020 at 04:43 PM.

23. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the crop and the low angle on this one. Placement of the bird in the frame is right on.

25. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post