Thread: Flight AND Fight

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Flight AND Fight

After having sold all my Nikon gear and taken a 2 year hiatus, I am pleased to rejoin bird photography and "the flock" here on BPN. I am as rusty as a bag of nails left out thru winter, but hopefully I can learn to ride this "bike" again. Good to look at birds with a camera in hand again... though now it's with a Sony in hand (A9ii with 200-600).

A couple young Snowy Egrets got into a squabble and took to flight. Not familiar with Sony AF quite yet, I only caught the first 3 frames (odd, I'd think I'd miss the first few - but - oh well). Glad I got what I did. Appreciate nits and picks and trying to relearn what I "think" I knew from before.

ISO: 2K, 6.3, 600mm HH, C1P/PS

If I don't upload this right - sorry folks.

Name:  Egret Fight and Flight PS NR BPN copy.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  373.7 KB

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well, you got the current king of action AF, so why not. Love the interaction and I don't need eye contact when birds are interacting but I do wish for a slightly better view of the eye on left. Love the cloud BG. Welcome back... TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome back Jay!

I'm newer to the scene but I have been working a lot lately with Snowy Egrets in my neck of the woods. These appear to have a strong yellow/green tone underneath for me, but I am not on a calibrated screen either.

At times they are the Kung-Fu kings of the bird world and it's a great action shot! TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Wonderful action shot. I brightened the image a bit and worked on the color cast ... . I've been SONY for more than a year.

I'd recommend that all SONY shooters check out the new guide I did with Patrick Sparkman here.

with love, artie

ps: I'd be glad to apply a 10% BPN Members discount. If interested, please get in touch via e-mail to samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

ps: I meant to ask: where?

pps: these are not young birds; they are breeding plumage adults. Note the red lores and that the legs are black all the way around. On young snowies, the back of the legs are yellow.

ppps: welcome back!
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 05-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm in the Bay Area... near where Arash lives. This was in Newark, CA.

Thanks for the info on the birds themselves. Yeah, not much of a "birder" at this point. Will learn...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot Jay love the interaction and the sky makes a great back drop. The repost definitely looks better without the color cast. TFS and welcome back.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

nice interaction Joel! I like the look back on the front bird. original look a bit too green and the repost looks a bit too red would go something in between. would crop them a bit tighter if the IQ holds up

welcome back! see you soon
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The action here is right on. Love the pose on the right bird.