Thread: American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)

Hybrid View

BPN Limited Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis)

Name:  untitled-1.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  185.4 KB

This is my first post to the forum. I photographed this nice alligator a few days ago in Lacombe, Louisiana. About 25 miles north of New Orleans, Louisiana. I was mainly taking photos of birds that morning,when I left the area I saw the alligator from the side the road.

Hand held
    Nikon D7200
    Lens focal length 400 mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) 600.0mm
    Metering mode Pattern
    Exposure mode Apeture Priority
    ISO Sensitivity 400
    Exposure compensation +0.3 EV
    Shutter speed 1/1000 sec
    Aperture F/6.3
    Flash Off

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome Kevin, your image is well focused, the reflection looks good,the angle is not bad, if lower had been possible it would have been better. My main reservation is the dark areas, they are very dark and there is little/no discernible detail there. Looking forward to seeing more posts, and I have to say it maybe in macro forum too

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The reflection of the eye is great. Looks nice and sharp as well.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin and welcome.

Is this a large crop, always good to mention in the text, as I don't feel there is critical sharpness within the posting, to me the subject appears soft. Techs look OK and I feel the POV is about right. Framing is a bit off as presented, there is too much negative space above, therefore I might crop 16x9 and have more of an equal space top & bottom. The stark water I think either needs to go almost white and have the subject more 'graphic', or... bring perhaps some blue in so you have some of the ripples to break up the stark environment.

I hope it's not the last posting in Wildlife and you are able to toggle between many Forums, as there is a wealth of help here and hopefully you will choose to become a member in time.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin -- I really liked the concept , and you have done well in getting this frame. IMO, these kind of frames feel much appealing with more tighter crop and having good details, i.e you have to get this at close quarters. I liked the suggestion by Steve reg the colour of water and making alligator more standout.

I hope we see more from you , as you already have a nice start and photographic acumen by look of things.

TFS !