Thread: Common Toad (Bufo bufo)

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Common Toad (Bufo bufo)

Attached Images Attached Images

This little guy took a stroll across by back garden Serengeti, it was surprisingly tricky to get a sharp shot so low when he was in full speed!
    Olympus : E-M1X
    Lens : M.40-150mm F2.8 + MC-14
    Lens focal length : 210 mm
    Focal Length (35 mm conversion) : 420.0mm
    Metering mode : Pattern
    Exposure mode : Manual exposure
    ISO Sensitivity : 250
    Exposure time : 1/500 sec
    F number : F6.3
    Exposure compensation : +0.3 EV
    Flash : OFF

ACR & PSCC
    Last edited by Jonathan Ashton; 05-22-2020 at 06:07 AM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jon, your garden must be like the Ark, with all the abundance of wildlife you have, but nice to see a departure from Woody.

I very much like the low POV and the raised arms. Angle works, but loosing some off the top I feel helps and doesn't hurt the image. Personally I feel it needs just a bit more DoF just to pull a bit more into focus and irrespective of the IS, you could have gone for a greater SS, even 1/1600 because these guys do move. I think the amount of DNAI is getting better, but I feel some more Dodging & Burning will help, especially on the subject. You cam also bring some more tonal range into the FG.

I'm guessing here Jon, as it's all on the MBPro, but....

Enjoyed this one, a bit of fun for sure and reminded me of the old 90's advert - Bud, Weis, and Er...

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jon, your garden must be like the Ark, with all the abundance of wildlife you have, but nice to see a departure from Woody.

I very much like the low POV and the raised arms. Angle works, but loosing some off the top I feel helps and doesn't hurt the image. Personally I feel it needs just a bit more DoF just to pull a bit more into focus and irrespective of the IS, you could have gone for a greater SS, even 1/1600 because these guys do move. I think the amount of DNAI is getting better, but I feel some more Dodging & Burning will help, especially on the subject. You cam also bring some more tonal range into the FG.

I'm guessing here Jon, as it's all on the MBPro, but....

Enjoyed this one, a bit of fun for sure and reminded me of the old 90's advert - Bud, Weis, and Er...

TFS
    Steve
    I agree a faster SS should have been used, I was struggling to get the shot so I confess I didn't even notice the shutter speed was 1/500 sec, due to the magnification of the subject in the frame I should have certainly gone faster.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice you caught the toad walking or as you desribe running. You handled the light very well. Framing is right on. Detail looks quite nice.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joh, wartly looking fella. I like the low POV, exposure and color appear right. I guess I wish you were not so close so more depth of field would have the whole toad in sharp focus. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice details here Jon , i liked the pose and the POV. Also main focus on face due to shallow dof works well here.

I also liked your signature but would make it less opaque as it is diverting attention from the subject.

TFS !