Thread: Spotted Towhee on the Rocks

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Spotted Towhee on the Rocks

Name:  2020-05-10-Spotted-Towhee-rocks-Brian-Sump_5396-SIG-FORUM-2.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  579.7 KB

Took a chance here because I think generally big rocks detract. But, this one lives in our yard under the Blue Spruce and comes out to feed on fallen seeds from our feeder so it is in a relatively natural environment. I just loved the close-up and color contrast of the red eye with the black head.

Overcast skies, clearly? The slight blue tinge in whites is there in raw.

D850
    Sigma 500mm
    HH
    1/3200
    ISO 5000
    f4

Edited in C1P (reduced contrast and highlights a little, lifted shadows. Added saturation and lifted the orange saturation a touch. Sharpened 180/.3/1).
    In PS, lifted the mid-tone curves adj, lifted highs and added a touch vibrance. Cropped for appeal, resized and sharpened 50/.3/1
    Last edited by Brian Sump; 05-19-2020 at 11:22 PM.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, is this a big crop? Could you have gone to say 1/2000 and gained a bit more DoF? If you are sharpening in PS with 180:0.3.1, then at web size 50:0.3:1 then the first figure seems a bit excessive (180) and I personally wouldn't touch Threshold for web sizing, I would keep it at zero.

cheers
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Brian, is this a big crop? Could you have gone to say 1/2000 and gained a bit more DoF? If you are sharpening in PS with 180:0.3.1, then at web size 50:0.3:1 then the first figure seems a bit excessive (180) and I personally wouldn't touch Threshold for web sizing, I would keep it at zero.

cheers
    Steve
    Steve, not huge no. Maybe 35% but with the 45mp D850 that shouldn't be an issue.

I was hi on SS trying to get some flying, guess I forgot to bump down. I know parts of the head are soft due to lack of dof.

I sharpend at the 180/.3/1 in C1P, not PS. That is standard for a lot fo my files and what was suggested to me be several as a starting ponit, depending on the bird/file. After the all the sharpening convo lately I tried to not let it get crunchy.

What are you seeing?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I was hi on SS trying to get some flying, guess I forgot to bump down. I know parts of the head are soft due to lack of dof.
    Yep, that's why I asked, but we all make errors at times and understand now why the tech are what they are.

I sharpend at the 180/.3/1 in C1P, not PS. That is standard for a lot fo my files and what was suggested to me be several as a starting ponit, depending on the bird/file. After the all the sharpening convo lately I tried to not let it get crunchy.
    OK, can't comment on C1 as I now use two raw processes, but both are not as aggressive. Without seeing the file from C1 to output hard to say Brian, but 'crunchy' can come from many things within the Workflow adjustments and where folk over sharpen, or add too much Contrast.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the rocks. Pose is right on. A touch more room behind the tail would be nice. The detail is nice.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Bird and especially the head looks crunchy/overdone/overlightened...

You need to learn the difference between out of camera sharpening of the RAW file and then the sharpening of the output, in this case the JPEG. Again I recommend DB II>

with love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Yep, that's why I asked, but we all make errors at times and understand now why the tech are what they are.

OK, can't comment on C1 as I now use two raw processes, but both are not as aggressive. Without seeing the file from C1 to output hard to say Brian, but 'crunchy' can come from many things within the Workflow adjustments and where folk over sharpen, or add too much Contrast.
    Steve, cutting to the chase you think it's crunchy, correct? I had a version not sharpened in PS and debated posting. Nonetheless, I'm here to learn...

FWIW, I think I only reduced contrast, not added. So, I guess that would leave sharpening the TIF as culprit, most likely

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Bird and especially the head looks crunchy/overdone/overlightened...

You need to learn the difference between out of camera sharpening of the RAW file and then the sharpening of the output, in this case the JPEG. Again I recommend DB II>

with love, artie
    Ok thanks Artie

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brain the sharpening actually looks good to my eye, it does look a bit contrasty but that's an easy fix. I wish we could see the feet BTW

TFS
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, thanks for the file and I have given you my tweaks, however looking at the file I think the camera may have just been taken straight out of the box, so you may like to consider the following...

Based on the file:
    The wing closest is sharp, but not the eye, FP was just on the neck so may be AF fine tune needs to go +1 or even +2
    Aperture would have been better f/5.6 or 6.3
    VR could have been switched off at 1/3200
    EV needed to be at least +2/3 the file was under exposed (as I said, get to grips with your Histogram and shooting ETTR)
    WB set to Cloudy B1 it will remove the blue cast you mentioned, as it works off the Blue channel
    Colour Space needs to be Adobe RGB NOT sRGB
    Turn off High ISO
    Long exposure Turn off
    Active de lighting turn low
    Vignette turn off
    Picture style - Neutral
    Sharpening set to 0 not +3
    Contrast set to 0
    Lossless Compress change to uncompressed

Hope it helps

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Brian, thanks for the file and I have given you my tweaks, however looking at the file I think the camera may have just been taken straight out of the box, so you may like to consider the following...

Based on the file:
    The wing closest is sharp, but not the eye, FP was just on the neck so may be AF fine tune needs to go +1 or even +2
    Aperture would have been better f/5.6 or 6.3
    VR could have been switched off at 1/3200
    EV needed to be at least +2/3 the file was under exposed (as I said, get to grips with your Histogram and shooting ETTR)
    WB set to Cloudy B1 it will remove the blue cast you mentioned, as it works off the Blue channel
    Colour Space needs to be Adobe RGB NOT sRGB
    Turn off High ISO
    Long exposure Turn off
    Active de lighting turn low
    Vignette turn off
    Picture style - Neutral
    Sharpening set to 0 not +3
    Contrast set to 0
    Lossless Compress change to uncompressed

Hope it helps
    Many thanks Steve, you were correct - I had not changed these settings when I bought the D850 a month ago.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

It's all positive Brian, looking forward to seeing the updated postings it will make a big difference, have fun.