Thread: Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Attached Images Attached Images

Visited a local preserve a few weeks ago, where Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Eastern Towhees reside in summer months. It was nice to see them back. The Grosbeaks in particular seem to favor the higher perches, so this is characteristically a bit of a steep angle; but I liked the image with a touch of spring green. Although this is likely a local breeding bird, I think there was also a wave of migrants passing through the area then. The following day I had one sitting on my backyard feeder.

D500, Sigma 150-600C @ 600mm, ISO 2500, 1/1000s @ f/7.1 manual.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm good with the leaves behind the bird. The image would be a little bland without them. I'd remove the small parallel lower branch. The bird is a little soft, from noise reduction I would presume.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice looking subject Bill and with the HA, I get the impression he was keeping an eye on you, but didn't want to show it. Why such a stark backdrop, is this through PP, could you not double process and have some hint of colour/tone to reduce the white bleakness??? Just curious.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

High key works well here with the dark bird. The maple leaves add a nice touch.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jack, Steve and John. Steve, this is what the RAW file shows when you expose for the blacks on a hazy bright day. A few of the other frames of him had a hint of peachy blue to the sky, and I suppose I could have artificially introduced some sort of tint or tone, but this is how it looked.