Thread: Meleager's Blue, Polyommatus daphnis

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Meleager's Blue, Polyommatus daphnis

Attached Images Attached Images

My first uploap to this macro section. Took this shot in 2011. During that time I was just started to build up a database of caterpillars and went on a trip to the Biebrza region in north eastern Poland. One of the biggest national parcs in Europe.

I've found this caterpillar (10 mm) due to the activity from the ants with were receiving a sweet substance, seperated by this caterpillar. In exchange for this the Ants protect the caterpillar. According to the books, this butterfly was only present in the southern part of the country. Apparently these books were not up to date that time.
    Every year I spend some time in this area, mainly searching for caterpillars. This resulted is several new species for the country.
    This is the original image. I'll try to take "the shot" in the field.

I've choosen this image because it is one of the first highlights during building up this database. And I'll like the image as a whole. It reflects my style very well (composition etc).

Canon 1D mark4
    Sigma macro 150 mm
    ISO 400
    Aperture F18
    SS 1/15s

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Welcome to macro Jan!
    I like the story line and you have a very informative and interesting image there. The exposure and focus is spot on, the attendant ants are clearly fulfilling their duty.

The relationship between ants and caterpillars extends to other species also, for example we have the silver studded blue butterfly which has a symbiotic relationship with brown ants. (I have made previous posts a couple of years ago).
    I hope you have more images I really enjoyed looking at this one.

3. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty interesting frame. The caterpillars and ants are nice. Just wish they were the center of attention.