Thread: Turkey Vulture Having Raccoon For Brunch.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Turkey Vulture Having Raccoon For Brunch.

Attached Images Attached Images

I drove right by this fella feasting on the side of the road. Whoa!! U-turn time. I positioned my vehicle, on the opposite shoulder of the road, and started photographing across the pavement from the open driver's side window. Despite the cool and bright cloudy conditions, that was a bad mistake as all images were suffering from heat shimmer. Time to go for another u-turn and photograph from the near shoulder through the passenger window. Ah, now that was much better! The vulture was nervous at first, but after about 10 minutes it was fully comfortable with my presence, even letting me slowly get out the passenger side door and go down low and intimately close to the action (sights AND smells). Thank goodness the wind was not strong an generally not towards me. That was fun, and some cool stuff to photograph!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1250s., f/7.1, ISO 800, natural light, handheld, FF, a few strands of offending grasses removed via clone, patch, and content aware.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, what a great find and kudos in moving, the right decision. Shooting from a distance has provided that low POV which is key, as you are almost at eye level. My only thought might be to go 4x3 and loose a bit of the RHS, so that dark corner area is removed, I don't think it adds?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great story and FF view into this scene (so, what's new). Love the eye and feather patterns. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great find! You did well with DOF for being so close.
    Looking at the image in Firefox on my 27" monitor I was thinking that it wasn't as sharp as your images usually are.
    I slid it across to Photoshop and it looks great. I wonder why the difference?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you made that U-turn. Love the iridescent on those feathers. Framing is right on. Maybe next time post a scratch and sniff version.