Thread: Trying To Blend In

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Trying To Blend In

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, Shooting Date/Time 7/5/2008 16:16:37, Shutter Speed 1/800Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation -2/3, ISO 400, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM, Focal Length 300.0 mm. Hand held from the Kayak.

This is a loon trying to blend in to hide the nest site. It will flatten itself out to resemble a rock and will not move until it absolutely has too. When it does it will rocket out of the site and run or dance on the water making a extremely loud noise that can be heard for quite a distance.

Since yesterday was the 4th of July, there was quite a bit of noisy boat traffic right in front of the nest. Unfortunately it is the only access point for boats to launch and the nest is right along the path. So this loon received a lot of attention and at a critical time in her nesting cycle. I do believe the eggs will hatch this weekend or early next week. I am posting this image so others will know what a loon does when it does not want you to see it or it is distressed from too much attention. I thought it would be educational for us all.

Please note the mussel shells on the left. We noticed hundreds of empties on the bottom. I thought it interesting.

As for the technical aspects or the artistic side, I tried my best to get it right, since I only had a 12 shot burst and left so as not to add to the mayhem. I hope others see this for what it is and what I tried for it to be. This was not an attempt to capitalize on a bad situation just to document this behavior. Please, no hate mail or rude comments. :)

Thanks for looking and as always, comments welcome. Yes Artie, I know, I asked for it. :) Don't be shy! I'm not. One more thing, flash would be a very bad idea here on this loon because of the aforementioned problems.
    Last edited by Grady Weed; 07-05-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Axel Hildebrandt

I think July 4 is poorly timed as far as nesting birds are concerned, fireworks and so on. :) Interesting to see the behavior and thanks for sharing the story. You could tone down the bright parts of that piece of wood underneath the neck.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Your seies on the loons has been most interesting Grady and I appreciate all the different images explaining their behavior. Another great image . Many thanks for sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really an interesting behavior image, Grady. Well done and educational besides. Looking forward to the chicks!