Thread: Back lit dancer

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Back lit dancer

Attached Images Attached Images

This trumpeter swan was flapping with strong back lighting earlier this spring. I thought the whites contrasted well with the dark background

D850 500PF f/7.1. 1/2500s. ISO 4000. HH

Post: small crop from top. Tweaked the contrast for more dramatic effect, cleaned up a few spots in the water. Darkened the foreground.
    The brown on the head and neck come from feeding in the pond muck.

Advice and comments always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 05-15-2020 at 08:10 AM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the concept here Randy, love how the dark water contrasts with he bird. The wing pose and water drops are nice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely backlit wings and water droplets.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, is the crop based on RoT's?

Initially I thought it needed a rotation as the HL's on the water offer an optical effect, but I guess you based it on the top of the wings? I do like the overall colour and glad you pushed things, I just wished you had more tonal range in the wings. I would add both top & bottom a Graduated filter and really darken them down, forget the clipping unless you go for a print, makes more of a graphic reflection, even add a vignette to pull focus further in. Dust down the gimmick, or as some folk say - 'tricks' (not sure what that is, but...) and go for it Randy!!!

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love how those wings just glow. The bird really pops against that dark water. Nice one.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

High contrast totally works on this canvas for me. All the light including rim light, through the wings, water ripples and of course droplets put it over the top. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Randy, is the crop based on RoT's?

Initially I thought it needed a rotation as the HL's on the water offer an optical effect, but I guess you based it on the top of the wings? I do like the overall colour and glad you pushed things, I just wished you had more tonal range in the wings. I would add both top & bottom a Graduated filter and really darken them down, forget the clipping unless you go for a print, makes more of a graphic reflection, even add a vignette to pull focus further in. Dust down the gimmick, or as some folk say - 'tricks' (not sure what that is, but...) and go for it Randy!!!

TFS
    Steve
    What me, do post processing stuff? I am just a boring, non artistic kind of guy. Last time I went artistic , it was not well received!

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What me, do post processing stuff? I am just a boring, non artistic kind of guy. Last time I went artistic , it was not well received!
    Well I think you should Randy, it's a great image IMHO.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is another version, pushed a bit.

Vignette, teased out a bit more detail in dynamic range of wing feathers, rotated CCW 1/2 degree.

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Randy, for me, this works, it has so much more life, but I guess it's all personal preference.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really pleasing image....... for me the first is more pleasing, it seems more likely/credible.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A really pleasing image....... for me the first is more pleasing, it seems more likely/credible.
    Jon, should there not be times when we move away for 'credible' to a more artistic POV, because of the dramatic light & setting etc, as per here??? You should checkout Andrew Parkinson.