Thread: Little owl - 'Scruffy'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little owl - 'Scruffy'

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, this is 'Scruffy' a few weeks after finding him/her looking much better, as I never really like to post images where subjects are not up to scratch and or, recovering after injury which we all now feel was what happened. The yellow scabbing above the eyes and the head plumage is getting thicker and fuller. Much smaller, darker in colour and very easily spooked he/she is beginning to grow in confidence, so ANY slight movement of the camera they lock onto, plus he has a habit of looking directly down the barrel, so do they see their reflection, or my eye?????

This is part of the old farm trailer left in the meadow, now being consumed by vegetation at a rate of knots!!! They like to use it as a vantage point and a different perch/location to the tree. Personally I also like the differences of textures, with the feathers, rusty metal and wood. The nail and owl poo have been cleaned up the day after this was taken.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Little owls (Athene noctua)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
    Lens: EF200-400mm f/4L IS USM EXT (Gitzo & Flexline Pro Ball head/bag hide)
    Exposure: 1/1600s at f/11 ISO800 EV -0.33
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from above, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & *PSCC2020
    Time: 8.30am

* Cloned out three little holes in the metal as per Jon A's suggestion, just have to remember to do this on each output.

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, so happy to see Scruffy is getting well. I like the image, it shows how wildlife and man can coexist. Exposure, detail look good as always. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Joe, thank you.

A few of us thought it was a mite issue, but the vet though Jackdaws, I wonder if it was the Grey Squirrel, however we can only guess. It looked to me if he/she was wearing a feather cape. BTW checkout the previous posting, it show the environment, totally different to your Burrowing owls.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve ... you know I am not a fan of the perch you have available there ... but it is as is !!
    The rest is just a great photograph ... specially the scruffy look of the owl is priceless good !!!!!
    Nice backdrop ...
    Tone and color spot on ... as is the detail .

Nice one Steve

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

you know I am not a fan of the perch you have available there ... but it is as is !!
    Thanks Andreas, a nice barn, old derelict building... would be great, but as stated in the previous posting, it's what they use and where they live, you will see what I'm currently having to contend with. I send you some 'rushes' , work to be processed correctly... and the mirrorless aspect is a godsend.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I know you are having no choice ... their decision where they live

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love owls and this one is cute. Though the habitat and perch is not ideal but its no deal breaker here. The puffed up look is lovely.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the puffed up look Steve. I know this is where the owls hang out, but for me, the perch, although very old, isn't natural and the owl looks so unhappy.

Will

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Will.

isn't natural
    Just curious Will, what is natural?

owl looks so unhappy.
    That's why he/she is called Scruffy, if you had seen this owl about a month ago it was touch and go if it was going to survive, hence why we are all surprised to see an older LO feeding and supporting, considering it's not from a brood as it's too early.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Forgot to mention Will, checkout the previous thread, it will give you an inside to the location and who tough the location is now becoming as nature is taking over.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Natural to me Steve is not man made.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Natural to me Steve is not man made.
    Oh well, you'll be disappointed then in future postings Will.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I had a look at the previous one and yes....that is natural to me...I'm not disappointed

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light wasn't ideal but that's the way she goes. Detail looks spot on per usual.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Light wasn't ideal
    In what way John, as I say I'm just curious in the comments.