Thread: Clash of kings (fallow deers during rutting season)

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Clash of kings (fallow deers during rutting season)

Attached Images Attached Images

Hy, this a shot of a pair of fallow deers (Dama dama) during the rutting season. Had to crawl on my belly for 3-400 ms (seemed an eternity to me:) to get close to them and they kept backing away constantly. Techs were 1DX+100-400 IS mk II, handheld, f 6,3 1/5000 ISO 3200. In hindsight I wish I had used an lower ISO, maybe 1600 or even 800 would have sufficed and a slower SS, but I was worried about handshake given the long crawling. PP in DPP 4.12.20, raised the brightness by0.90 the shadows by 2 and highlights by 1. Increased color saturation by 1, WB is auto, luminance noise reduced by 5 and chrominance by 7. Had to crop the foreground quite a bit because I shot lying down.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, a lovely shot, well framed as it appears to work on RoT's (Rule of Thirds)?

I just wonder if you took a sliver off the RHS, so you have more on he LHS (as is), but having more to the LHS you then get the impression, perhaps, that the Stag is pushing the other out of frame? The low POV is perfect, with just enough mush in the FG which I like. Overall it has a nice layering from FG to BKG, with lovely soft colours. 1/5000 is a bit excessive 1/2500 would be fine, I'm shooting 1/5000 with owls in flight as they re really fast, not these guys. Detail is a little limited in the two subjects for me and the 100-400MK2 is really sharp. Depending on your ethics I might remove the two under the LH stag.

Hopefully Andreas will chime in too re DPP.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan ... agree with Steve and his observations . Love the scene and the extreme low POV ... which makes the image for me .

Image has some shortcoming in terms of fine details in the subject ... might be down to the foggy scene and the low POV !! Nothing in DPP would help with the 1Dx , maybe the MK III can with the newly added " local contrast " option .
    Actually I cannot help here as this image would require more work in PS IMHO .. issue for me is also that you had to raise the exposure by almost 1 stop at Iso 3200 . It would have been better to shoot a bit more ETTR ....

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

maybe the MK III can with the newly added " local contrast " option .
    I think it only effects edges like contrast 'sharpening', don't see the point IMHO Andreas.

BTW Dan, the sky I think has some posterisation?
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve .... it should " help " somehow to cut through fog or other low contrast elements of nature . But for sure it will not save the fine detail that is missing here and was not there in real life ... IMHO !

It just creates an optical illusion of sharpness .... as sharpness is just contrast ( basically ) .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your comments Steve and Andreas. I framed with the RoT's because on the RHS there is half a hind visible. I did't want more empty space to the left because I wanted to avoid a centered composition. As for the detail yes, the RAW file is noisy, shouldn't have used ISO 3200, but maybe I will RP it using less NR, maybe 4 instead of 5.and rasing the brightness with just 0.5 or 6. Probably some detail was lost when I converted it into JPEG (it's only 1200X648).What is posterisation Steve? Can you tell me Andreas what would you do in PS?
    Last edited by Bretoteanu Dan; 05-14-2020 at 08:27 AM.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan a beautiful image, I agree with all the aforesaid. The autumnal colours in the trees are also a treat for the eyes.
    The two stags don't show any detail to me they are relatively small in the frame so I would expect a lot but maybe just a little. This makes me wonder if the NR was a little excessive???

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I will leave the tech details to the experts and just say I love, love, love this powerful image design... TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your input John. I applied the NR according to Artie&Arash's guide to DPP, but the RAW was noisy to begin with, and then there is the loss of detail due to conversion. As for the dimension of the stags, thats the 1-4 zoomed out to 400, and they were slowly but steadily moving away from me. I'll try and repost another version.
    Last edited by Bretoteanu Dan; 05-16-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Here is a repost, I adjusted the brightness by +o,5 instead of 0.9 and applied a NR of 4 instead of 5.Name:  A20W1542 v3 nred 4.JPG
Views: 71
Size:  587.2 KB Converted as JPEG at 1400x756, and applied a sharpening of 2 to the jpeg.
    Last edited by Bretoteanu Dan; 05-16-2020 at 01:12 PM. Reason: misspeling

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, not sure what happened there as you embedded the file in the text and in the BPN upload?

Although on the laptop it looks better and worth the RP, but I'm sure Andreas & Jon will chime in as they will see it on a calibrated monitor. Maybe go to 1600 px wide next time?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan ... does look slighty better IMHO .
    But due to the DPP limitations .... I feel you are stuck to get the most out of your files . For me DPP is just a basic raw converter .. delivering really good base conversion , but that's it IMHO .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan -- Pretty late to the scene but nevertheless I really liked the moment and the very low pov. agree with the suggestions by Steve and Andreas to overcome the shortcomings . But this image is indeed a lovely one.

TFS !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love it as is. Like the action and the pano crop. The other deer give some nice depth.