Thread: Varied Thrush male and Russet apple

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Varied Thrush male and Russet apple

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS-1D Mark111, Canon 600F4, 1/100 F5.6, 1000iso, in camera N/R set. Image taken on Gabriola Island B.C. on Dec 8/07 at 11:24 am overcast damp conditions

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a very beautiful species, and that is quite apparent in your photograph. It looks like the shot could go about 1/3 or 1/2 stop darker...and a bit of contrast might help the image "pop" more. The fruit, although instrumental in getting the bird where it is, competes a little too much with your subject.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ted well captured image. I will agree with Dan about the brightness here. I love the bird's pose. If your comfortable with it you might consider cloning out the short branch under the tail.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I agree very much with Daniel's comments. I would also mention it looks a bit soft, probably from the low shutter speed.

Axel Hildebrandt

Welcome, Ted! Great find and I like the complementing color of the apple. I wish for more eye contact and contrast. It looks a bit soft on my monitor. I would crop a bit off the left and if you clone I would get rid off the little branch sticking out under the tail. Keep them coming.

Maxis Gamez

Hi Ted,

The image looks soft in my monitor. I also find the orange overexposed.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

I like the original, but I like the re-post better.

Is it better? Is it a photo illustration? Is it cheating?

Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like what you did Artie. Now for sure the focus dosn't look soft. I was pretty sure it was a sharp image. Thanks for taking an interest.
    Yours in Wildness
    Ted

Linda Robbins

Quite a beautiful bird, and the repost incorporating Daniel's suggestions looks much better.

Linda

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Varied Thrush male and Russet apple

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    I like the original, but I like the re-post better.

Is it better? Is it a photo illustration? Is it cheating?

Later and love, artie
    Having studied both images, Arties and mine, I think somewhere in between might be best, for me, that is. Having said that, I would like to add, Artie, if you and your posse keep up the involvement in the forum you have shown up till know, this will be the best forum on the net. Not only will it be the most interesting forum, but it will also be the most informative and educational.
    Yours in Wildness
    Ted

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks for your kind words Ted. When I am home, and whenever I have internet access on the road, I will be doing at least a few critiques every day. And I know that the rest of the gang will be there when I am wonderful places (like Tanzania and Madagascar coming right up) without e-mail.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.