Thread: Male Ruddy Duck

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Ruddy Duck

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot in local slough in Nd.The blue on the bill was not altered. Pretty much this intensity. Processed with Dpp 4,Photoshop,Neat image Comments and critiques appreciated.
    Canon 1D X 111
    500 f/4 L Is
    700 mm
    Av
    1/800
    Iso 5000

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really liked the last one Kevin but this one is even better for me. I presume you'll get better feedback on the whites and I love the bill color here a lot more as well.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low angle is right on and the framing. Nice view of that tail. Love the water drops along the back.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Textbook frame of the lovely breeding plumage male. Great POV, nice exposure and detail. Love the tail. Nice light, too. Wouldn't mind a bit more room in front.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, love the nice view of this duck, very hard to get close to here. The raised tail is quite nice, typical of these diving ducks. The background works well. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Whites look fine, I would add some contrast. Great subject.
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Kevin:

These guys always seem like the clowns of the duck world (along with Buffle heads of course). Great POV, tail position, colorful bill, all excellent.

I do get Dan's point about the contrast. Not much, just a bit more pop.

Great fun.

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 05-12-2020 at 08:02 PM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Ruddy Duck

Added some contrast. I think it improved it. Thanks for the suggestion Dan.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Repost looks great. With the OP I wondered if there was a bit of fog at the time you took the image?
    Whites look good,
    Gail

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, this is great and the low POV is perfect. I also like the rich colours set against the minimal backdrop. I might have gone to 6400 as theres little difference between 5000-6400 and the MK3 is good, as I've been shoot 8000 and it's just so clean, plus you would gain a tad more SS, or depending on the EV, drop the ISO to 3200, retained a bit more dynamic range and lifted in PP, but you need to think before doing so.

To me the OP looks a bit flat and processed in LR, unless you control things, adding Contrast will kill detail, so take the image into PS and use Curves, you get a lot more out. Look at the bill, neck and especially the tail feathers and whites around the rear. Apply this to the hi res version and you will have a stunning capture. Nice work.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Steve,I did go back into curves and make another adjustment. I used curves originally. The first thing I noticed on your version were the whites near the tail and more detail. I think it helped on the reds too made it more realistic. Plus I think it gave more definition ,color to the background.Thanks again

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The first thing I noticed on your version were the whites near the tail and more detail. I think it helped on the reds too made it more realistic. Plus I think it gave more definition ,color to the background.Thanks again
    Hi Kevin, you might firstly drop the overall exposure just a fraction, perhps just below a third of a stop, but hard to tell on the OP. Curves yes, and I bet there is a truck load of detail at the rear you can extract, this is where layers and masks come into play, it's not just one Global adjustment fits all.

Like Colin, you are getting to grips more with the MK3 & your PP which is great to see, well done, as your confidence grows, the more fun you will have.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.