Thread: Coming my way... No tail, but eye lashes for miles...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Coming my way... No tail, but eye lashes for miles...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 70-200 @200 f2.8 1/1000 ISO 400

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'm not use to seeing whitetails walk on sand. Nice light on this one. Detail and sharpness look great.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, it would be nice as you do in Avian, to add your thoughts to other posters postings too, as it bolsters the BPN community spirit.

Thanks
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks David, much appreciated.

OK David, the image needs a CW rotation, the subject has a slight lean to it. Was this shot from a car, as going lower would have offered a better POV, (if you can add some narrative to the posting, it helps). I like the warm light, but feel if the subject was on the LHS with more negative space to the right, so you have more light streaming in and less 'shadow' to the left, it would have offered a better framing. I'm not a lover of shooting wide open and here the subject is suffering I feel from, lack of DOF from nose to ears, where was the FP David? More space below for the subject to trot into, the crop isn't really working for me, how much of a crop is this David? Going more landscape, more below and to the LHS I think would be better, subject slightly smaller in frame.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks David, much appreciated.

OK David, the image needs a CW rotation, the subject has a slight lean to it. Was this shot from a car, as going lower would have offered a better POV, (if you can add some narrative to the posting, it helps). I like the warm light, but feel if the subject was on the LHS with more negative space to the right, so you have more light streaming in and less 'shadow' to the left, it would have offered a better framing. I'm not a lover of shooting wide open and here the subject is suffering I feel from, lack of DOF from nose to ears, where was the FP David? More space below for the subject to trot into, the crop isn't really working for me, how much of a crop is this David? Going more landscape, more below and to the LHS I think would be better, subject slightly smaller in frame.

TFS
    Steve
    Hi Steve,
    First and foremost sorry for being lazy and using an IG crop. However, ask and you shall receive. This crop is still about 60% of the FF and I agree with your suggestions completely. I was on foot and this beauty was trotting apace right at me and the leaning look is because she's about to veer to her right, or left in the frame. I was also moving as I was afraid to spook her. So, I was moving to the right of the frame and slightly down the side of this raised berm. The previous post is the result of not spooking her and I was not able to get lower as she trotted the whole way though while passing me on the raised berm. Yes lower POV on both images would have been better. Funny you should ask about focus point as I just discovered when I was recently switching my custom functions to manual mode and manual with auto ISO, I inadvertently changed back to larger focus point. In a previous AF firmware update canon offered a much smaller single point AF option and it wasn't set. So, the single point AF box for this image covered all the way from almost the top of both ears to just below the nostrils. No idea why anyone would want to use such a large focus box as single point (it was the only option when the camera was first released and is still the default). Thanks as always for your valued suggestions.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David, many thanks for the expanded info, it really does help and seeing your Avian posts it's good to have more info, as the readers can get a better grasp of what the photographer had in mind and faced.

I've only had a few minutes with the R when it first launched with a good friend of mine who was then a Canon Ambassador, so I'm a little vague on it. Not sure if the AP points are the same, with the DSLR you have various ones ranging from Spot AF (for precision), one point AF, Expansion etc... so I'm a little unclear on what you used, could it be Zone AF?

So, the single point AF box for this image covered all the way from almost the top of both ears to just below the nostrils.
    So, I'm guessing the DOF wasn't enough.

On reflection David and now seeing the FF version, I feel shooting portrait would have been better, partly because go the subject, but also you are retaining more IQ and not throwing away a lot of wasted

10. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

As you can see, the more 'landscape' isn't working.

12. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, many thanks for the expanded info, it really does help and seeing your Avian posts it's good to have more info, as the readers can get a better grasp of what the photographer had in mind and faced.

I've only had a few minutes with the R when it first launched with a good friend of mine who was then a Canon Ambassador, so I'm a little vague on it. Not sure if the AP points are the same, with the DSLR you have various ones ranging from Spot AF (for precision), one point AF, Expansion etc... so I'm a little unclear on what you used, could it be Zone AF?

So, I'm guessing the DOF wasn't enough.

On reflection David and now seeing the FF version, I feel shooting portrait would have been better, partly because go the subject, but also you are retaining more IQ and not throwing away a lot of wasted
    Hi Steve and thank you for the inputs. Just for clarification, this was single point for accuracy in focus. However the R first came out with a huge area (big box) for single point. Which shows they were still working on AF issues when it first came out. In FW 1.4 they finally gave an option to have a smaller single point AF box. It should not have been an option but given as default. In this image the single point AF box covered the entire head of this beauty. I didn't realize it was set back to default and have since changed it in my custom function options.
    Peace,
    David