Thread: Yard monster...

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Yard monster...

Attached Images Attached Images

EOS R RF 70-200 @200 f2.8 1/500 ISO 200 Cropped from vertical on RHS. Manual EXP

Occasionally, when sitting at the computer developing images I hear a loud thud from the front window. First time it really jarred me, thinking what is hitting the window that hard. On inspection, the first time, it was found to be this exotic yard lizard from points south (cuban anole). They get as big as the also exotic iguanas in our area but are much more colorful. It turns out, this colorful monster was climbing to the top of a dead palm stump in front of the window, seeing itself, and jumping to the attack.
    Just got a new toy in this first RF telephoto and was testing AF at MFD as it had initial problems fixed with firmware which was already updated in my copy. I was at 200mm, wide open and just about at MFD with focus point right on that eye. This fella is so brightly colored, I had to desat yellow and green quite a bit to get details on the face. Obviously, DOF very narrow at MFD (70cm) and wide open. Not a lion, tiger or bear. Just our lovable yard monster.

Comments, critiques and discussions always valued and learned from.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice the eye is sharp. I like the patterns on the anole. The green looks quite nice as well.

3. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Colour and details around the eye look good, I quite like the shallow DOF but in this case keeping the nose in focus would I think have enhanced presentation, the rest of the body can become less sharp, but I do think the eye and nose are the key areas..

5. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi David ... great to see something different . Lovely colorful lizard ... a solid ID would be great !!! If this is an Anole , they belong to the iguana family but they should not become that big !!!

Like the vertical crop and the overall colors ... DOF a bit shallow , I go with Jon that the tip of the snout has to fall into the focal plane . And this kind of photography is not made for shooting wide open .

TFS Andreas

7. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi David ... great to see something different . Lovely colorful lizard ... a solid ID would be great !!! If this is an Anole , they belong to the iguana family but they should not become that big !!!

Like the vertical crop and the overall colors ... DOF a bit shallow , I go with Jon that the tip of the snout has to fall into the focal plane . And this kind of photography is not made for shooting wide open .

TFS Andreas
    Hi Andreas,
    Yes this is the largest of anoles and is related to iguanas (all anoles are). It is commonly designated cuban anole. Also known as knight anole or giant anole. It is a cuban native. Yes, I realize more DOF might be better but I was testing as stated (MFD and wide open) in caption. Thanks as always for your very valued inputs, one and all.

ps
    All types of photography can be imaged with any DOF the photographer deems necessary for desired effect. Like all art, that doesn't mean everyone will like it. To each his own. There are no hard fast rules in art. Having said that, I was only testing.
    Peace,
    David
    Last edited by David Roach; 05-04-2020 at 04:58 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

David you are correct .... there are no strict rules in any kind of art , so I might have chosen the wrong wording .Stick with my critique though .... regardless if you call this a testing shot , it needs more DOF for me to make this work .

Always good to have some exchange .....

Cheers Andreas

10. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    David you are correct .... there are no strict rules in any kind of art , so I might have chosen the wrong wording .Stick with my critique though .... regardless if you call this a testing shot , it needs more DOF for me to make this work .

Always good to have some exchange .....

Cheers Andreas
    Totally agree, my friend. Please keep your very valued opinions, critiques, and many times for me, teachings coming.
    Peace,
    David

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't see the advantage of truncating a subject when both subject and framing lend themselves to the crop David. The image would have been far better and stronger if all of the subject was in shot. The DoF is too shallow, the only element that is in focus is the eye which again is a crying shame because something like this commands far more detail & texture to me. Going tighter in, (head shot) with more DoF would I feel, have created a far more strong image with greater interest for the viewer. The BKG is posterising, probably from pushing the colours within PP.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

13. Thanks David Roach thanked for this post