Thread: Heavy working mum

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Heavy working mum

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi folks keep going with some older stuff ...

Again from my KTP trip with Gabriela and Andre in 2014 ..... so shooting was different in terms of thinking about the techs .

Conditions were tough .... brutally hot and light was quite harsh . The lady killed the springbok in the heat of the day , not witnessed by me , right next to the track and left it there hidden under some bushes . I came across the scene by luck , resting in the heat of the day without any shade in my car .... waiting just 5 meters from the springbok that this lady would come and start to feed . Looooong waiting ..... she came and what was she doing ???
    Started dragging the carcass across the dry river bed ..... followed by her two cubs to get the carcass under a big camelthorne tree into the shade , far out of my photographic reach . Even in relatively close range ... heat haze was already an issue as you might understand .
    Had to crop it this way as it was shot in portrait , too much dead space on top and bottom . In many images the cubs were blocking my view by running from left to right .... covering parts of mum or the springbok . So only a few usable images as a result of that dragging ... which took quite long .

Canon EOS 1Dx
    EF 200 - 400 IS L at 400 mm
    Beanbag

F 7,1 ; Iso 400 ; 1/1600 sec ; man exp

Processed with DPP 4 and PSCC 2020 ; cropped for comp from bottom and top

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Regardless of crop the quality looks good Andreas. The action appears to be well captured and the DOF looks very good the prey head and the adult head both look sharp.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the framing here Andreas, but feel shooting with the 500 and being set back a bit may have offered a less 'steep' angle and IQ. You did well considering the time of day and the heat haze, sometimes it's best, albeit frustrating, just to watch and put the camera down. Maybe the FG & cub is just a wee bit dark, just a fraction for my tastes.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Jon and Steve for your kind comments , much appreciated .

Steve ... i am not agreeing with you in parts , specially not by your advice putting the kit away . This situation was a , until now , a once in a lifetime situation .The image has it technical shortcomings .... but well worth to show in my eyes and the quality is good enough to do so . For sure I would have liked better circumstances .....
    The location did not allow to move , in fact it was the best position one could have as I was shooting through a gap through bushes along the road and no chance to move back with the vehicle ..... you can see the OOF bushes in the FG and URC .
    Agree with you about the brightness of the FG and the cub .....easy fix .

Cheers Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Andreas I like the mother and the prey being in focus. At first i thought it would look better without the cub, but I think that it balances out the frame and tells a story ( mother feeding its cub). Colors are nice, the result is very good, heat haze considered.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Dan ... for your kind comment

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The image tells a story. You handled the light very well. Nice to have the little one in the foreground.