Thread: King of the valley

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default King of the valley

Attached Images Attached Images

Hy, since my last photo as a limited member was one of a chamoix, thought I'd try another one. Durring the rutting season the males beeing focused one one thing only they become quite tolerant as long as you do not overstep some limits. This is the dominant male of a valley somewhere in Romania's mountains and he is a magnificent and gentle animal. Techs were Canon 1DX +100-400 mk. II at 400 mm, SS 1/1600 f 6.3 ISO 2000 manual exposure. PP in DPP 4.5.0.0 increased the exposure by 0,33 , WB daylight, saturation +1, set luminance noise reduction at 4 and chrominance at 6 then saved as jpeg. Sharpness was left at the default value of 3.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bretoteanu, I like the fact the subject is small in frame, it works. Techs look good, but I do think it's a tad warm. Next time, post at 1200px high.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you Steve for your comments. I had in mind a 'wildscape', wanted to give a sense of the rough enviroment in which the chamoix lives. What do you mean by being warm (scuze my chromatic and PP ignorance), the grass is too bright? I can try and repost with the saturation at 0, maybe it looks better. Btw, my name is Dan, Bretoteanu is the family name, like Kaluski is in your case. I forgot to mention slight crop from bottom and RHS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Sorry Dan.

OK, so you have done all your Post Production work in DPP and have not made any additional adjustments in PS via Layers, yes? So, in DPP I might adjust the Orange slider in the HSL panel to make it less warm, it might just be the Sat slider and or the Luminance too, but at various degrees. Just guessing as I don't use DPP. It's just a thought, others may disagree, but overall it's a very nice capture. Chamoix looks good, I've only seen them in Switzerland.

BTW Where are you from?

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan I really like the image, I am beginning to wonder if it is my eyes but is the chamois sharp enough? I am struggling just a little with the head - perhaps another round of fine gentle sharpening would help? If all the processing was done in DPP and none in PS I think you have done very well.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan ... i do like the " small in the frame " effect . Does show the wilderness nicely , specially when the habitat is structured and not flat as pancake in some parts of the world .

Overall I think the image is slightly too warm , having an overcast day in mind .

Good advice from Steve about the oranges inside DPP , I personally reduce them normally by 1 or 2 ( saturation ) on every image . Also depending on the picture style you are using in DPP ... if you go neutral you have less " problems" with the oranges .

I am with Jon about the subject could stand a bit more sharpening .... but you are stuck if you are using only DPP .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your input Steve, I''l try and repost the image, will see about the orange slider in DPP. To my eyes the image looks like what I saw when I took it, but then you have thousands of PP images behind you where as I have quite few. Yes, the romanian chamoix is bigger and better developed than the swiss, italian or austrian ones I am from a town named Arad in Romania.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Jonathan the RAW file is sharp, I checked it, but maybe the lack of sharpness is due to the conversion from RAW directly to jpeg at 1024 on the longest side. Tried to save it at 1920 but the size was too big, over 1mb. I only procesed it in DPP, I have Artie's and Arash's guide. Will save at 1200 next time, maybe it will look better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Andreas, we have some very nice wildernesses here in Romania. Yes it was and overcast, cloudy end of October day. As I told Jonathan maybe the image is a bit unsharp because I converted to jpeg directly at 1024 pixels? Next one I will post at 1200, maybe it will improve the look of it. I wiil try and repost this one.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Will save at 1200 next time, maybe it will look better.
    Hi Dan, when you output from DPP to post on BPN are you applying 'Output' sharpening, as all files require sharpening for output?

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hy Steve, I dont think DPP has that option. I just do all the adjustments on the raw file with sharpness is at its default value of 3. Once everything is done I convert and save and thats all. Maybe I should aply again sharpening to the jpeg in DPP, lets say a value of 1 and then post? My only worry is that it will look too "crispy". I printed exactly this photography, saved directly as jpeg and in 20X30 cm it looked great to me. Actually looks very nice on my grandfather's wall.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan ... you cannot do much about the about the sharpness , just trial and error with the sharpening options in DPP as there is no output sharpening inside DPP . DPP is limited in most options .... compared to other raw converters

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, as Andreas is more up to speed on DPP hopefully he can offer/guide you through things within DPP, but if funds allow, I would strongly suggest you invest in Adobe Cloud and purchase PSCC on a monthly basis, around 10 euros. Not only will you be able to do a lot more in terms of adjustments, but also create sharper files for output. You print will probably be from a 16bit tiff, sRGB files only have 256 colours, but all outputs need sharpening.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Herer is a repost. I set the saturation at 0, then following Steve and Andreas's advice under the "adjust image colors" tab I set the orange hue, luminosity and saturation to -1, then applied +1 sharpening. Saved at 1200 height and 700 width (couldnt get away with 752, file too large).Name:  A20W3190 v1..JPG
Views: 50
Size:  592.0 KB

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan ... you can choose whatever height and width you like . You just need to change the quality of the saved file . But it is somehow problematic ... as you cannot see the kb size in DPP of the file . It is not only depending on the pixel dimensions , the color , tones and noise are adding informations that need to fit in the file size . So again trial and error.... for every image again

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Dan RP looks better in terms of the colors , IMHO !

Do not know if you have recognized , or if written in the DPP guide , by using the HSL panel you are influencing the tones as well , you need to counteract that afterwards !! Even if you push the slider just by 0.5 to a single color ... you loose contrast . If you use the lightness slider in that panel to a higher degree you create a lot of posterization and funky artifacts at times .... so try to keep that in mind .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This works very well small in the frame. Like the placement and the vertical framing as well.