Thread: European hare early in the morning

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default European hare early in the morning

Name:  A20W9460 v1.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  595.1 KBWell this is one of the first photos taken with the 1DX (actually the third, but the first one had a blade of grass right across the nose). Saw this guy while driving and I managed to stop, crawled toward him and while he was tryin to figure out what I was and what my plans were regarding him I managed 3 shots and then he bolted. PP in Canon DPP 4.5.0.0 following mr. Morris's and Arash's guide. Sharpness was left at the default value of 3. I increased the exposure by 0.83, set the WB to shade (liked the way it looked), set luminance NR at 4 and chrominance NR at 7 and then converted it as jpeg. Techs were SS 1/50 f 5,6 ISO 3200 HH with Canon 1DX and 100-400 IS mk. II. at 400 mm.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bretoteanu ....
    For sure a nice clean shot of the hare ... glad you managed to get at least three .

Reading your subscription ... your WF seems to be very basic , albeit DPP is limited , you need to invest more to get the most out of your raw file IMHO .
    Personally I think the image is quite flat in tone and color , lacking fine details ( your shutter speed was quite slow ) .... the white balance looks bit off . Not the best choice to use one of the presets ....!!!! Within DPP the options are somehow limited , but one get for sure more out of the file . The " problem" with DPP is that everything is adjusted globally .... but DPP is just a raw converter not an editing software , in my eyes .
    I am not too fuzzed about the crop .... might go for traditional 3x2 .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi, a nice encounter with good clean look at the subject. I like the eye. Andreas has give very good inputs and shown you the way forward. Keep sharing.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you for your input Andreeas. You are right about the tone and color, but thats exactly how the image looked when I pressed the shutter, a hare in the early grey morning light. I'll try and play a bit around in DPP with color tone and color saturation to see what I can improve. I dont use anything other than DPP because I dont have too much time to PP and PS seems to difficult to me.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi ... if you like it fine .
    Just a question back ....if the light was grey and dull , why is the reflection in the hares eye ... blue / cyan ?

When exporting for web .... you have to choose the sRGB color profile for an optimal color output . You have used the ADOBE RGB !!!

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bretoteanu, as a Canon bod through and through I will leave I with Andreas to guide you through DPP as I use LR & PS.

I quite like the square format, but also you could go Landscape too, how was this shot, is it a big crop? Techs are less than ideal and you must avoid cropping hard as you just loose too much IQ. Hope to see a RP and more from you.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You're scaring me... Not even if my life depended on it would I have spoted the color of the reflection( as a matter of fact I still dont see the blue/cyan, but I am not good with colors). Yes you are right, I have chosen adobe instead of sRGB because in the DPP guide it says that you should choose Adobe for workspace color.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Scaring you further ... you are also having blue/cyan in the ears . The greens are more on the cyan side .... I personally do not even need the color picker for the observations . But hey .... trying to " help" you to see things . If you do not see the color , use the eyedropper in DPP and check the RGB values .

Well maybe the guide does not tell everything ....... even if folks think it ! The Adobe RGB colorspace is good to work with as the working color space inside DPP .... but for web postings you need to convert and save it with the sRGB color profile , as most of the screens cannot display the Adobe RGB colors . And your color might look slightly or more than slightly off .....

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Bretoteanu -- I liked the frame, especially the placement of hare in the frame. But completely agree with Andreas and others , it looks quite dull and the IQ marginal. I think Andreas will help you out to extract more from DPP but certainly that wont be enough as you need to use PS or LR to work upon the image in much controlled manner.

TFS !