Thread: Challenging Bull

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Challenging Bull

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot 9/26/2018 at CMR Wildlife Refuge, Montana as the light was rapidly fading too dark.
    Canon 5D IV, Sigma 150-600S @ 420, 1/50, f6.3, ISO 1600. Induro GT304 Tripod with Nest gimbal head. About 70% of FF.
    PP in Lightroom and PP.
    Probably should have gambled with increasing the ISO, to gain more SS.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry, this would have been a nice shot, however the SS was just too low to deliver the real critical sharpness needed. The rack does appear sharp, the face less so and there is movement in the fur around the neck. Yes, some additional sharpening does help, but... There are times when you can get away with slow SS, ie tripod as here, but it's just too low IMHO and so upping the ISO is your only option, don't be afraid. Better to have a slightly noisy image than a soft one, as you can deal with noise and if well exposed then is so easy.

I would move the crop slight more to the left and a tad more below. Overall the image needs to go a bit cooler in terms of Colour balance and more sharpening. I do like the pose, open mouth and earth/grass clad rack. The backdrop is what it is, but it also needs a bit of NR, so I do question if the capture was exposed well?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Have to agree Jerry the image does lack a little bite as it were, I like the pose and composition.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a bull! Nice rack. Also like all the vegetaion what i assume is from wallowing. Agree with Steve up that ISO. Better to get a noisy shot then none at all. The bull looks pretty sharp to me.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry, I like the content here but as mentioned above, techs could be better. Also Steve has given some good advice.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry -- Nice to see you posting regularly. I liked the pose here but the techs , especially the ss has severely affected this image. It looks shaken and as a result the basic thing is off, so doesn't quite make it for me, sorry.

TFS !