Thread: Hyena Pup

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Hyena Pup

Attached Images Attached Images

Photographed in Krueger National Park, South Africa March 1, 2019.
    Canon 5D IV, 100-400 II @ 278, 1/400, f6.3, ISO 800.
    PP in Lightroom, handheld
    Comments and critiques always welcome.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jerry, firstly can I suggest that commenting on other posts is a great way to learn from others and build the BPN community, it doesn't have to be technical, just what you like and dislike is good. I know from your last posting Post Production (PP) is still in it's early days, but have you calibrated your monitor, as this is key to any image development and will ensure your images look 'faithful'.

Photographing wildlife is great and showcases what a wonder world we live in, hope you had a great time in Kruger. I quite like the pose, but having the eye visible is nice, obviously keeping an eye on things. Yes, water can become green like this, but obviously they are not fussy in what they drink. Overall the image is too bright and contrasty, albeit that I'm away and using my laptop. Toning things down and avoiding excessive black, contrast & clarity within LR will help. Agin sharpness is there and better, just masked by the blacks. I also felt it needs a slight CW rotationIf you are using LR then you need PSCC to progress your files, are you currently exporting from LR?

The kit is good and the 100-400 super sharp, but just watch your SS as any movement in the jeep will not be welcome. DoF is about right, but again shooting ETTR and maximising you histogram capture will deliver a good file for easy PP. Can you please remember to add if this is a big crop or FF and cropped from Landscape or shot Portrait.

Again the RP I hope illustrates my thoughts, however I trust other regular contributors will chime in too. I might suggest for Portrait images ie vertical, keep the size to 1600px.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry ... can only echo Steve's thoughts here .

His RP is good in terms of showing the " correct" image .... if you understand what I mean . For sure there is always room for different interpretations of tone and color , specially we all see things with our personal eyes and emotions .... having the situation in mind .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jerry, firstly can I suggest that commenting on other posts is a great way to learn from others and build the BPN community, it doesn't have to be technical, just what you like and dislike is good. I know from your last posting Post Production (PP) is still in it's early days, but have you calibrated your monitor, as this is key to any image development and will ensure your images look 'faithful'.

Photographing wildlife is great and showcases what a wonder world we live in, hope you had a great time in Kruger. I quite like the pose, but having the eye visible is nice, obviously keeping an eye on things. Yes, water can become green like this, but obviously they are not fussy in what they drink. Overall the image is too bright and contrasty, albeit that I'm away and using my laptop. Toning things down and avoiding excessive black, contrast & clarity within LR will help. Agin sharpness is there and better, just masked by the blacks. I also felt it needs a slight CW rotationIf you are using LR then you need PSCC to progress your files, are you currently exporting from LR?

The kit is good and the 100-400 super sharp, but just watch your SS as any movement in the jeep will not be welcome. DoF is about right, but again shooting ETTR and maximising you histogram capture will deliver a good file for easy PP. Can you please remember to add if this is a big crop or FF and cropped from Landscape or shot Portrait.

Again the RP I hope illustrates my thoughts, however I trust other regular contributors will chime in too. I might suggest for Portrait images ie vertical, keep the size to 1600px.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve. I think my monitor is ok, I just need to learn to tone things down a bit. I went to Apple in recent months so I actually export from LR to a separate file then export to BPN, will do on the 1600 size. This is about a 33% crop from the original file. Thanks again for taking the time to RP.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think my monitor is ok, I just need to learn to tone things down a bit.
    Jerry, providing you are calibrating once a month with a good system ie X-Rite then you should be good. Just make sure Lumens (ie 80, 100, 120...) & Gamma, Black point etc are all correct. If you are in a separate room try and keep lights off and the monitor is not facing a window, you want in an ideal world zero light with only the monitor on.

I went to Apple in recent months so I actually export from LR to a separate file then export to BPN
    OK, they do run free courses in Post Production so take advantage as they 'should' start from import to export with some basic advice. Be aware, there is lots of stuff on the net, mostly garbage, so just be warned. Ideally all you Global work in LR, export to PSCC to do your 'finer' adjustments, Save back to LR and export from LR. It all depends on how far you are on this PP journey, as you may find it easier to Export via PSCC via Save for Web (Legacy) and up[load the file from your Desktop.

To retain as much IQ as possible try to avoid big crops and going from Landscape to portrait.

Happy image making.

Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice capture Jerry, I have this thing about big vertical images, I would guess 1250px is high enough for most monitors without having to resize in the browser. I would suggest overall contrast is a little high and the highlights too bright.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A nice shot of the Hyena. The behaviour of drinking and the visible eye is nice. Comp is fine but agree regarding the colours and contrast with Steve and others.