Thread: Lockdown Yawn !

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lockdown Yawn !

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello everyone. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions to my previous post as always much appreciated.

Posting another Tiger image from my recent Bandhavgarh trip in Dec 2019 with Doc. This was a male sub adult , almost on the verge of separation from the family. We saw him resting beside the road and as we approached , he stood and gave a big yawn and went in the jungle.

Tried the TK7 Rapid masks , still a lot to learn but its pretty cool stuff.

Techs are not ideal , I would have loved at least 5.6 dof and more of ss but this happened all too quickly .

DPP 4.12, PSCC 2020, WB, TK 7 Rapid masks, curves, levels, selective colour, via/sat, NR, sharpening. Stretched the canvas just below the feet as it was a bit tight there and behind the tail as well, slightly.

Canon 1DX MK II, Canon 200-400 f4 IS II @ 200mm.

ss 1/200, f/4.0, iso 2500.

Looking forward for all your comments and suggestions, be it of any nature.

Haseeb.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb. I remember that encounter so well. You did pull it off despite the slow SS and you could easily have upped the ISO. But I know it was a short sighting. Good framing and the yawn does add interest here.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, that is impressive - a really super capture. I love the tiger's mouth and head, I don't know what it is but I am a little ill at ease with the rest of the colouration, perhaps it is due to the lighting conditions. Good idea to stretch the canvas but I have to say it is a little apparent especially on the RHS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

@ Jon : You mean Rhs as viewed ( for the canvas ) , in front of the Tiger ? It is untouched there was ample space in front.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb, looks very bright to me? Techs are not 'on point', so I wonder on the IQ overall?

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Haseeb .... the pose and the yawn are really nice IMHO . Good to see him out in the open , without any distracting elements .

Yes overall a bit tight .... for sure specially at the foot of the image . Sadly your canvas extension does not look that great , IMHO one does need to have good skills to make it look natural . I am struggling too with this ...so I would rather leave the shot as is , or crop it instead of a not perfect looking extension.
    Overall tone and colors are looking quite nice ... the only thing that bothers me a bit is the difference of the oranges/yellows and the greens . The greens looking flat and lifeless compared to the oranges/yellows .... I am missing harmony , maybe you understand what I mean .

Techs are are not ideal , but you dealt with it quite good , at least at this size .

Hope you get along with the masks .... easy to use LOL .

Wish there would be a raw converter out there who has that option to create this kind of masks ..... Capture One is not too bad in this department , but far away from the technical perfection of photoshop .

TFS Andreas

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Haseeb, I like this. Obviously you were in pretty low light, and yes it would have been great to add SS, but the pose and the magnificence of the animal IMO minimize some of those shortcomings. I do agree with others that the bottom of the canvas is a bit murky, but overall, nice.

8. Thanks haseeb badar thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions, as always, much appreciated.

@ Steve - I don’t find it bright , and the IQ is fine enough only thing is dof coild
    have been better.

@ Andreas - Definitely better to keep it tight than to stretch the canvas , it is quite difficult to get that smooth transition.
    also, I had subdued the colours in the BKG a bit to make the Tiger more stand out , I can see what you and Jon are referring to abt colours . Will look into it.