Thread: Worked Up Bull

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Worked Up Bull

Attached Images Attached Images

Shot September 26, 2018 in CMR Wildlife Refuge, Montana.
    Canon 5D IV, Sigma 150-600 S @ 481; 1/400, f6.3, ISO 800.
    Induro 304 Tripod with Nest gimbal style head.
    PP in Lightroom and Photoshop CC, cropped slightly for composition.
    Comments and critiques always welcomed.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the pose and the surroundings. the colours and contrast seem a little dense to me, perhaps overall a little too much orange and yellow?? Shadows rather dense but I sense all could be redressed in raw conversion.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jerry, firstly welcome.

I can see why you shot as you did, but the space to the right is OK, however if the subject was more to the right based on the head angle looking left, it may have offered a better composition. In addition, having a bit more below would be better for the virtual legs, not much more, although you may have it if this is cropped? HH 1/400 I think you could have gone to ISO 1600 to gain a bit more SS. As presented the image appears soft and does need some more selective sharpening IMHO. I do like the grass ad mud on the rack and the mouth with some drool... personally and depending on your ethics, I might remove the blade of grass just over the chest to offer the 'drool' a bit more prominence and the dark tree trunk in the BKG.

Jerry disregard colour, but this RP may illustrate what I meant about composition.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry, a nice shot. I like those imposing horns with mud, the trail of saliva and the head angle. Jon and Steve have shown how it can be improved further. TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nothing like hearing a bull bugle during the rut. Nice setting and i like the fall colors. Nice to see the mud on the rack and that drool.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Jerry, firstly welcome.

I can see why you shot as you did, but the space to the right is OK, however if the subject was more to the right based on the head angle looking left, it may have offered a better composition. In addition, having a bit more below would be better for the virtual legs, not much more, although you may have it if this is cropped? HH 1/400 I think you could have gone to ISO 1600 to gain a bit more SS. As presented the image appears soft and does need some more selective sharpening IMHO. I do like the grass ad mud on the rack and the mouth with some drool... personally and depending on your ethics, I might remove the blade of grass just over the chest to offer the 'drool' a bit more prominence and the dark tree trunk in the BKG.

Jerry disregard colour, but this RP may illustrate what I meant about composition.

TFS
    Steve
    Thanks Steve. You are right about the space on the right, I definitely should have thought of that. I would have never thought about the tree in the background (I may not be good enough with PS to successfully pull that off yet, LOL). I go back and forth with regards the Vibrance level, and finally agree that I should have brought that down a bit. I really appreciate the comments and time you spent to educate.
    jt

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

You are right about the space on the right, I definitely should have thought of that. I would have never thought about the tree in the background
    Hi Jerry, you should use the LCD for:

Checking the histogram to ensure you get the best exposure
    Changing your camera settings/tech, if not through the viewfinder
    Composition, take a frame and look for any blown highlights, too tight, too little at the foot etc etc etc and anything that maybe distracting and so it offers you the opportunity to change position and correct the frame

(I may not be good enough with PS to successfully pull that off yet, LOL).
    If you are running PSCC 2020 which you should be, then the correction in removing the tree too less than 15 seconds, moving the elk to the right, about a minute. It's all very easy.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jerry -- Nice to see you posting here at wildlife forum, hope to see you posting more.

I really liked the low POV and the and pose , but can't agree more with Steve's RP. The colours are always subjective but RP makes it more natural . Framing is again improved in the RP with correct amount of space on either side, especially in the direction it is looking. tones and sharpness are better as well. You can the suggestions into account and can certainly reprocess it.

Nice one, TFS !