Thread: Black-legged Kittiwake

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-legged Kittiwake

Attached Images Attached Images

I trust my ID is correct, if not please advise.

On this particular afternoon we parked up to give the crew a break and decided to launch the zodiacs on the lookout for Polar bears, walrus, seals etc. Working from a moving zodiac is hard, especially when the engine is cut and you are drifting to avoid spooking the subject, as the slightest movement by anyone has a 'ripple' affect, hence having a good SS. No idea what the dark 'aqua' colour is, can only assume it was a hint of water, but the setting was in pack ice.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Black-legged kittiwake (Rissa Tridactyla)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1DX MKII
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM plus 1.4x III HH
    Exposure: 1/3200s at f/9 ISO320
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from above, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, love the calling pose. The white on white is really nice, the snow/ice looks as I remember it from my years up north. Interesting bird that I am not familiar with. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve:

Great pop of color against all the white, really makes it stand out. Whites are well handled, pushing the edge at around 245- 250 in some areas, but detail retained. Interesting icy mound, and I actually like the green hint in the background.

TFS

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys.

pushing the edge at around 245- 250 in some areas
    Perhaps Randy, but not blowing them.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fabulous shot. The calling pose gives a splash of color against the otherwise almost white image. Shooting from a bobbing Zodiac in the arctic waters of Svalbard is indeed a challenge, which you dealt with beautifully.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Many thanks Bill, done enough now to kind of know how to position myself, but in all honesty, having a "Mirrorless" kit (not that I do, as such), is a huge advantage on something like a zodiac, plus having a flip out screen means you can get within touching distance of the water to aid a cracking POV.

Folks I may not always respond as I don't often get notifications and I am aware I'm not alone.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the whites here...not blown ....but very white. The reds and yellows really boosts the image with a splash of colour. Nice BG colours and lovely detail on the perch. Good POV. Was the camera showing blinkies....And, if you shot ETTR.. how does that not blow the whites. Just asking Steve as I have been doing the Eiders (black/white) and if I ETTR the whites seem to be blown..

Good work

Will

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat to see the inside of the mouth like that. Framing is right on. Detail is great all around.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Was the camera showing blinkies....And, if you shot ETTR.. how does that not blow the whites. Just asking Steve as I have been doing the Eiders (black/white) and if I ETTR the whites seem to be blown..
    Hi Will, suddenly having not received notifications a truck all cam e flooding in!!!!

I shoot both manual and auto ISO since the 1DX MK1 came out and it works! I just shoot ETTR and have Highlights enabled, if it blinks then just back of on the EV. ACR & LR in their nature cannot render raws completely and can show blown highlights when they are not, but when you take it into another programme, most cameras shoot at least 1/3 to 2/3s under. At the end of the day we are looking at 256 JPEGs not the high res file and so in its nature some detail may be lost in it's conversion. The other issue is that like LR, I am sure additional contrast is added in behind the scenes within ACR, but then some folk love pushing blacks & contrast because it 'looks good' but is it reflective?

Basically get the raw right and the PP side is a piece of cake, irrespective of what you use. If you ever want to send a raw down to discuss over the phone you know where I am.

10. Thanks William Dickson thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

hi Steve, perfect. Naturel. ..