Thread: Broad-billed Hummingbird

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Broad-billed Hummingbird

Attached Images Attached Images

Captured March 31, 2020 near Patagonia, AZ.
    Canon 5D IV, Canon 100-400 II at 400mm, 1/1000, f5.6, Evaluative Metering, ISO 800, AWB, handheld.
    Post processed in Lightroom Classic and Photoshop CC 2020, cropped slightly for composition.
    Comments, critiques welcomed and appreciated, thanks.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jerry"

A handsome fellow indeed, love the feathers slightly erect on the crown and throat, vibrant colors, raised bill. Soft side lighting which gives depth, without making the other side too dark, esp. the eye

I might consider a more vertical crop, with the raised bill working the diagonal.

The little curl of vine at the lower right corner is just a bit distracting in that location, very small thing.

I would have pushed the f/stop smaller to get a bit more DOF.

TFS

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

pretty hummer Jerry, what was the large teal spot on the BG? looks like a fence or part of a house? a bit distracting. the bird is sharp but the light was coming from the wrong side and not in your favor. lots of empty space on the left

TFS keep it up
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the color on this hummer. Espcially that red bill. The background is pretty neat. I don't mind that teal color.

5. Thanks Jerry Taylor thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice image Jerry. I like the teal goes well with the colors on the bird. For me the light is OK may go with the vertical crop so not so much space on the left. Beautiful colors and details. Vine works for me hot spot on the branch could be toned down and some noise in the background. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Neat bird, and for me the teal part of the BG is actually very appealing. I agree about the light being against you here though, specifically in regards to its direction. I would also see if I could tone down the brighter parts of the perch as they are rather white. Good compo and sharpness!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Randy. I actually did a vertical crop of this image, and, in fact, like it much better.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by arash_hazeghi View Post
    pretty hummer Jerry, what was the large teal spot on the BG? looks like a fence or part of a house? a bit distracting. the bird is sharp but the light was coming from the wrong side and not in your favor. lots of empty space on the left

TFS keep it up
    Thanks for your critique Arash. The teal was a small shed off in the distance (I have to admit I didn't notice it until previewing the files), and I appreciate your point. I was kind of hosed on the lighting, as this was the only spot left due to "social distancing", but I agree with the comment.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin Hice View Post
    Nice image Jerry. I like the teal goes well with the colors on the bird. For me the light is OK may go with the vertical crop so not so much space on the left. Beautiful colors and details. Vine works for me hot spot on the branch could be toned down and some noise in the background. TFS
    Thanks Kevin, I actually did a vertical which I do like much better with this pose.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cadieux View Post
    Neat bird, and for me the teal part of the BG is actually very appealing. I agree about the light being against you here though, specifically in regards to its direction. I would also see if I could tone down the brighter parts of the perch as they are rather white. Good compo and sharpness!
    Thanks Daniel, I hadn't even paid attention to the bright spots on the perch and obviously should have.