Thread: Black-necked grebe, Podiceps nigricollis

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-necked grebe, Podiceps nigricollis

Attached Images Attached Images

This is the complete group of three from the same evening as the image I showed earlier. During this shot the sun was gone already and the birds really prepared for the night. Did not apply much shadow reducting. Sharpening also very limited.

F5.6
    ISO 800
    SS 1/400
    SS a bit low but was struggling with the wind and didn't want to miss this shot. Very shortly after this shot they were gone.
    Before this 1DX I had a 1D mark4 wich had terrible noise in shadow areas. So in the beginning I was a bit to carefull with raising the ISO.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jan:

I like the group, esp. the front two birds. Light shows their rich colors and vivid eye well.

In general I think the vegetation works well, however I wish there wasn't a leaf covering part of the face on the right bird.

I would consider a crop from the bottom. Often it works well to have the same amount of free space below as there is above.

TFS

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

3. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the low angle and the pretty color palette but the vegetation is too much and distracting.I had no problem with dark birds and high ISO (3200) in AK when I had a 1D4 many years ago, it's all about using the correct software and method for processing,.

TFS
    Last edited by arash_hazeghi; 04-08-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    New! Sony Capture One Pro Guide 2022
    https://arihazeghiphotography.com/Gu.../Sony_C1P.html

------------------------------------------------
    Visit my blog
    http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/blog

5. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The low angle is nice. Like the color contrast between the birds and the vegetation. Yes to taking some off the bottom.

7. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ooh, I love this! Great scene, and three good head angles. Very peaceful. The vegetation is awesome here, but I agree with Randy about the one bit in front of the right bird (tough to avoid, and I can live with it). The 7DII that I use has give good results at ISO 3200 when it should not be usable above ISO 100 according to the internet, so yes, a combination of in-the-field exposure plus good processing should yield favorable results with higher ISOs than 800 even with older bodies. Keep it up Jan, I've been enjoying your images!!

9. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote; Arash, I like the low angle and the pretty color palette but the vegetation is too much and distracting.I had no problem with dark birds and high ISO (3200) in AK when I had a 1D4 many years ago, it's all about using the correct software and method for processing,.

I did used Aperture during that time. The image was also not underexposed, but the shadownoise was terrible at even ISO 400. Have been sending the camera even back to Canon Holland. It's my spare camera, but haven't used it for years now.
    Last edited by Jan van Holten; 04-10-2020 at 02:55 PM.