Thread: Black-necked grebe, Podiceps nigricollis

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Black-necked grebe, Podiceps nigricollis

Name:  18050159---Version-2-1.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  591.6 KB

During my trip to the Biebrza marshes in Poland 2018, I've brought my floating hide with me. Such a hide gives you great opportunities to photograph birds wich normally are not so easy to get. Also, the low angle makes that your almost on eye level. One negatif thing of this hide is that it's very sensitive for wind. Already with windforce 3 you are pretty much struggling to keep the hide under control. It took me about one hour to let the bird get used to my presence.
    Camera 1DX, 500 mm with 1.4 extender. Aperture 5.6 at 1/1250s. Iso 800 Windforce 3!!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks great. Nice light and low angle. The vegetation behind the bird is nice. Detail looks spot on.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Superb shooting angle, lovely detail on the head. Well exposed.

I would prefer not so much vegetation that close behind the bird, but we can't control where they swim.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Makes me want to get my floating hide out of the shed! Great low angle, love the water in this one, light is wonderful. If you have one not so close to the vegetation I'd be tempted to post that one, maybe backing off the sharpening on the head a little - body feathers look perfect

Mike

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fantastic light and POV.
    I like the vegetation , just wish there was a bit less of it. I find the longest stalk distracting but others are fine.
    IQ rocks with great feather detail.
    Gail

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a bird. The effort was worth it, for sure. TFS

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Name:  18050159---Version-2-1.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  522.5 KB

Thought that removing the stalk on the right sight would give some problems, but I think the result is okay. The bird was clearly looking for shelter close to the vegetation. Sharpening was set very low actually although it looks not that way.
    Last edited by Jan van Holten; 04-07-2020 at 01:23 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The shooting angle, light angle, colors, details and exposure all look great. Just the veg doesn't help at all. Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David Salem View Post
    The shooting angle, light angle, colors, details and exposure all look great. Just the veg doesn't help at all. Well done
    Hello David, thankfully we do not all have the same interpretation about how a image should look like. Without this vegetation my image would look like many other images from a Black-necked Grebe in some water. A shot like this is actually what I will try to accomplish if possible. But that doesn't mean that I'am not up to other images. The variation is just what I'll like very much.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Jan,

It's not that I didn't or don't like vegetation in an image, its just where it is in this image. Coming out of the back of the bird in all directions isn't that desirable, at least to "most" people, as the group mentioned, but to one side or the other of the bird would, as you mentioned, make this more visually appealing than just the plain bird in the frame.

Well done
    Come join me for a Custom Raptor Workshop starting this November 2019- January 2020.
    P.M. me to inquire on dates, pricing and availabilities. Thank You.
    www.davidsalemphotography.com

11. Thanks Jan van Holten thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gail bisson View Post
    Fantastic light and POV.
    I like the vegetation , just wish there was a bit less of it. I find the longest stalk distracting but others are fine.
    IQ rocks with great feather detail.
    Gail

Ditto on the tall stalk and the other two coming out oof the bird's head. And ditto all of the superlative comments above.

with love, artie

ps: I could have done a bit better with the clean-up with the TIFF :)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.