Thread: Lion

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lion

Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a portrait of a lion from Mara. Hope I got the WB right this time. The original RAW was on the cooler side.
    1DX II
    500mm II
    1/800
    f/4.5 (more DOF would have been better but I guess the side profile allowed me to get away with it.)
    ISO 3200

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

f/4.5 (more DOF would have been better but I guess the side profile allowed me to get away with it.)
    I think it may have Sanjeev. Re WB I will let Andreas cover that.

Is there some HL recovery in the face? I would back off on any NR to the BKG, but it might be partially due to the shallow DoF. Sharpening on the mane looks good, on the face perhaps a tad too much, maybe vary it via masking?

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, some HL recovery was done on the snout and face. Will back off on sharpening on face.
    Last edited by Sanjeev Aurangabadkar; 04-05-2020 at 11:42 AM.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Looks very nice. Like the framing and that nice view of those scars on the lions face. Image quality looks good.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Sanjeev ... based on your description , the original was on the cool side ..... personally would stay cooler if the shot was taken before or after sunrise or on a strong overcast day .
    So personally you thought you go warmer ???!!! Why ??!!
    AS presented the lion does look very orange and the bright parts on the chin are also looking warm , but for warmth I think the light is not fitting too flat for warmth ... just my take . Hope you understand what I mean ... a that strong orange lion without early/late sun visible in the image , my brain is saying NO !!! Again just my take !!

Another thing is .... the fur does look borderline on beginning to be crunchy and the tones and tone structure are looking strange , like locally recovered ???!!!

Apart from that , I do like the head turn and that nice looking eye .

TFS Andreas .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Doc -- I am not sure warm tones help here, a bit too yellow for my taste. I liked the sideways pose and the details in the mane but somewhat crunchier and looks recovered in the face area. I also find the area in front of the snout a bit too smooth , is it due to NR ? a bit too much applied here for the iso .

TFS !