Thread: Long-tailed Weasel in Winter Coat

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Long-tailed Weasel in Winter Coat

Attached Images Attached Images

Was I ever happy finally getting a good chance at this species while in its white winter coat! I had the predicament of it coming too close for full body images as it was curious about the noise off my shutter clicking away. This is a full-frame image as it perched at eye-level on the lowest branch of a mature evergreen. I was afraid to remove the TC or backing up in as I did not want to spook it way. It's all good though, with a cute face like that I am glad to have had it come so close for a great view! I also lucked out with a wet tree trunk giving it a dark BG against the subject. BTW, these guys are ferocious predators that will take on prey larger than itself at times...

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/320s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, natural light, handheld, FF.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great view of this weasel. Love the framing and that expression. Why is this guy here? The background and foreground creates some nice depth.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Daniel -- Very nice portrait and eye contact. Liked the framing as well, especially the way that log is leading towards the subject. Nice tones as well and standing pretty nicely against that bean bkg.

I think this needed a bit more dof, the ears and forehead are trailing of quickly. But you were already borderline on the techs , only getting rid of that TC might have helped.

Nice one, TFS !

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan, great to see you adding to the pot here, wish more Avian folk would, as it can only bolster their learning curve, not that you need it and shooting different subjects is fun. You seem to be the master of the 7D2, an unforgiving body if you don't get the Exposure right IMHO, but you constantly nail it, would love to see you with the 1DXMK3!!!

Framing is good and as you say, having the log & BKG wet, was in your favour. The dark backdrop just highlights the subject perfectly and offered excellent standout. Glad you didn't clip the whiskers on the LHS, easily done in the heat of the moment. The DoF to me looks spot on, nose, eyes and that little bit of log have just the right amount of sharpness where it counts.

These animals move like 'grease lighting', and as you say, with no fear. I have only seen a Mink which took on a rat in the farm yard, no contest.

Just being 'picky' but I might be tempted to remove the slightly lighter brown marks in the FG on the log and replace with the lichen, just for continuity.

TFS
    Steve

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a lovely subject Dan, and love that winter coat. Great deal of sharpness and good composition. Nicely processed as well. TFS.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a cutie, so deceptive of its real habits. Love the shot and story.