Thread: Little owl - 'Torn eye'

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Little owl - 'Torn eye'

Attached Images Attached Images

OK, lets just get some housekeeping done, just to set the scene.

This period for me has been helpful, as it's given me the opportunity to take some walks to see whats happening as we enter into Spring and in particular, to try and spot the Little owls. Well after two days 'Torn eye' hasn't moved too far and has started to frequent old hunting grounds. I've photographed Torn Eye over the last four years, but feel only as of yesterday was able to determine that she was female because of 'Scruffy', a much smaller LO that appears sadly to be suffering from what I would suggest is mange. TE is totally oblivious of any shutter noise, but over the last couple of days I've been shooting Mirrorless with the MK3 a great asset, sighted on the Flexline ball head.

This morning I decided to use the 'video' element as the Willow tree is inhabited by both Jackdaws and three squirrels and to see TE reaction as squirrels move very close to her is fascinating, well for me, but here she caught me unawares. The image is too central/tight and the techs are out in my book both in terms of SS & f-stop, but the camera nailed it in my book. The overcast conditions helped, keeping colours more muted and subtle and the plumage soft, not crunchy. The wind has been horrendous, dropping to 10-15mph this morning and so it did add to the plumage in part.

This is basic PP on the MacBook Pro, as I'm away so there is probably room for adjustments when I get back.

Thanks to those who viewed or commented on the previous posting.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua)
    Camera: Canon EOS-1DX MKIII
    Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM plus 1.4x III (Gitzo tripod & Flexline Pro Ball head)
    Exposure: 1/500s at f/5.6 ISO1000
    Original format: Portrait, very slight crop from above, FF width
    Processed via: LRCC Classic & PSCC2020

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behavior of the subject and, of course, there has been no use of any form of bait or other form of wildlife attractants (including vocalisations) in the capture of this image.
    Last edited by Steve Kaluski; 04-03-2020 at 11:33 AM.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve, wonderful that you have been able to follow this owl for four years. The injury to the eye allows for easy recognition. I really like the processing the shows the softness of the feathers. Tech spot on as always, background pretty much perfect. Thank you for sharing.
    Joe Przybyla

"Sometimes I do get to places just as God is ready to have somebody click the shutter"... Ansel Adams

www.amazinglight.smugmug.com

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the processing the shows the softness of the feathers.
    Hi Joe, here I've limited my PP, but basic elements like Contrast, Blacks, Clarity, all need to be controlled within LR to avoid heavy, contrasty/crunchy images. IMHO the current files in the MK3 also seem a tad cleaner too, as I have always felt Canon files have too much Contrast in them (irrespective of how you set up capture) and the Blacks are not as clean as they are in Nikon.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Steve ... gorgeous little owl , neat story behind it .
    And the additional technical background is interesting ... my machine is still parked in the shelf . Hope for options in the Zoo ... to shoot a bit . But due to Corona , even there I am limited in movement and time to spend .

Image does look good , albeit being only processed very limited .

Not 100 % sure with the overall color ... a slight leaning towards the magenta is visible to me .As the lighting looks quite flat , I would expect a slightly cooler overall look .

TFS Andreas

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve always nice when you have the opportunity to recognize the subject and have the opportunity to shoot over several years. Four years is fantastic. I once had a grouse with white primaries and had the opportunity for two years. Love the moodiness of the background especially goes well with owls.
    I also like the fluffed up feathers on the breast adds a softness and cold gloomy look.Especially towards the bottom as you lose DOF. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Kevin, normally I would shoot at f/8, it works for this subject nicely. Grabbing just an hour I have to hedge my bets and as usual it's the last knockings they turn up and I hate to move if they are close by and spook them, normally I would leave a good while after they fly, but they are always close by, you just don't see them, but they see you.

Grouse are cool and can be feisty, one chased the car...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Well glad you got to see good old torn eye again. I don't mind the framing. Like the pose and those feathers. The lichen on the perch is nice as well.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Glad you have your old friend and new toy to get through this time. Echoing others comments, love the soft feathers, the lichens/perch and only wish the top of the frame was not so bright. Love it as is though. TFS

Threads
    Thank You Posts

wish the top of the frame was not so bright
    Hi David, I specifically kept it in to add a hint more interest, as it is sky. To me, if it was just the muted green, IMHO it would look rather boring and even more like a studio shot as there is nothing to break it up. Hope that makes sense.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi David, I specifically kept it in to add a hint more interest, as it is sky. To me, if it was just the muted green, IMHO it would look rather boring and even more like a studio shot as there is nothing to break it up. Hope that makes sense.
    Hi Steve, Fully understand and it makes great sense. It just draws my eyes away a little bit.