Thread: Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Ruby-crowned Kinglet

Attached Images Attached Images

Not that I don't like pursuing ducks, but it's nice to have some smaller migrants coming through where I can freely walk around. I have quite a few images of this individual but most have really busy backgrounds
    as he was in some brush. This is the least obtrusive background. It was overcast enough that I was shooting wide open. I probably should have bumped the iso a little more and stopped down a little, it would have
    been better if the feet and branch were in focus. I don't mind the head turn as it gives a good view of the crown. On a side note, there were a couple of times when the bird landed on a more isolated branch closer
    than it was previously. I centered the single point AF square on the reddish blob of the head and.....the camera AF locks on the background. No amount of AF button mashing will release it. You have to move the camera
    around to find something larger in that focal plane to break the focus lock. In the mean time the bird either bolts due to your movement or dies of boredom and falls off the branch because they're always gone. Can
    any of the D850 users tell me if the pinpoint AF mode on that camera helps with this. Apparently on the D500 there is still a fair amount weight placed on adjacent AF points even in single point mode.
    D500, 500mmF4VRII, TC-14EIII
    1/1000s, f5.6, iso 640

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pretty cool look at the crest...
    I use the 25pt focus quite a bit for still subjects and have pretty good success.
    I walk around in flight GRP mode and use the front lens buttons to switch when I need to.
    The GRP mode is really bad at anything other than flight.
    Dan Kearl

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the view of that color on the head. The head turn is pretty neat. Framing is nice.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I've chased these beauties before so I know how hard it is to even get these beauties in the frame (so flighty and fast). A wonderful view of this beauty, sharp and detailed right where it needs to be. Applaud your zen like ability to catch all the small/twitchy birds. Very glad you have them to chase during these trying times. Stay safe and TFS.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jack, this is an exceptional shot and as good as it is, your narrative is equally important and instructive for beginning enthusiasts such as I. Thank you for both! Indeed the spring migration is upon us and anyone who has been in the field knows the challenges we have for a clear, clean capture, let alone one that shows off a Kinglet's crown as well as yours. Sorry for your focusing difficulties, which we Canon users safely avoid. Dave