Thank You Posts

Default Red Grouse

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1DX Mk2
    f/4 400mm DO Mk2 with 1.4iii
    f/5.6
    1/640
    ISO 1000

This is one from my last visit to the Glen before lockdown...

Will

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful Will everything looks good. Always enjoy looking at your Grouse Pictures.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Man, that eye brow and that eye, not to mention the feather details and colors. The near OOF BG vegetation could use further NR. Love the composition overall. TFS

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Love the color on these grouse frames you produce. The setting and background are spot on. Framing is nice as well.

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice indeed Will, I like the colours and framing.
    Being rather picky now but i would be very tempted to check out highlights and the blacks, there is a small amount of clipping. I think you have a good raw file to work from and I feel there is more detail to be shown in the lores, wattle and the breast feathers.
    (If you really look at the lores and wattle they are just a little bit glaring - compare to the white moustache like stripe where there is much better detail..WDYT??)

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Will, the crop isn't working for me, as it's too 50/50, for me shooting wider with the habitat more in view would have been better. So removing the 1.4 would have also offered better cropping opportunities and more below. Still not sure why you don't go for a faster SS and here you could have gained some more DoF too, to get some of that body plumage in focus. Yes the ISO would have gone up, but again, you have a MK2 don't let old habits tether you.

Agree with Jon, Blacks and shadows are masking some of the detail, the comb is way too saturated masking detail and the plumage could gain some more 'richness' within it, saying that killer BKG.

Will, you can so much more with your files and you owe it to both subject and yourself, just decide what needs doing and stick to it, it's not complicated.

TFS
    Steve

PS The attached is just a suggestion...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful image. The red detail is killer.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Really sweet! I'm a huge fan of headshots sho this sits very well with me. Love the color and detail, and the foliage is interesting even if the OOF bits create a bit of a pattern artifact in front and behind. I do think Steve's repost
    looks better suggested the comb too saturated in the original. Very minor though, and this is an image I'd be stoked to have in my collection.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like the repost, very nice portrait, Will...
    Dan Kearl

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks guys appreciated and comments noted.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Hi Will, the crop isn't working for me, as it's too 50/50, for me shooting wider with the habitat more in view would have been better. So removing the 1.4 would have also offered better cropping opportunities and more below. Still not sure why you don't go for a faster SS and here you could have gained some more DoF too, to get some of that body plumage in focus. Yes the ISO would have gone up, but again, you have a MK2 don't let old habits tether you.

Agree with Jon, Blacks and shadows are masking some of the detail, the comb is way too saturated masking detail and the plumage could gain some more 'richness' within it, saying that killer BKG.

Will, you can so much more with your files and you owe it to both subject and yourself, just decide what needs doing and stick to it, it's not complicated.

TFS
    Steve

PS The attached is just a suggestion...
    Thanks for the RP Steve...I like it apart from the comb...The photograph was during the mating season, and the males combs are really bright at this time. They are almost fluorescent...

Will

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The photograph was during the mating season, and the males combs are really bright at this time. They are almost fluorescent...
    Appreciate that Will, but you can retain detail too, as I'm guessing they are the same as up here in N Yorkshire. Yes, it's a balancing act, but retaining detail is also key.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Will apart from the minor issues in terms of color and tone , I like this one !!! Nice looking bird . Crop matter of taste ... I am ok with it .

Agree with Steve , why you do not push the cam more in terms of iso to gain more DOF and/or shutter speed .

TFS Andreas

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Liedmann View Post
    Hi Will apart from the minor issues in terms of color and tone , I like this one !!! Nice looking bird . Crop matter of taste ... I am ok with it .

Agree with Steve , why you do not push the cam more in terms of iso to gain more DOF and/or shutter speed .

TFS Andreas
    Thanks Andreas.....Confidence I suppose...But, I'm getting there.....I'll post one later on with a higher ISO

Will